Karissa's Reviews > Sugar Spells

Sugar Spells by Lola Dodge

This is the second book in the Spellwork Syndicate series. I got this through netgalley to review and really enjoyed it a lot. It’s just a cute and fun read with a lot of magic and some interesting magical creatures. I like the characters, the story, and the fact that the whole book is kind of happy and fun feeling; even when it gets a bit dark.

Anise is having trouble with her magic and seems to be channeling death magic along with her normal fire magic; it’s messing everything up! Anise seeks a way to get rid of her death magic while trying to pry some truth about Wynn’s past out of him. When Wynn finally tells her how he became a Shield, her and Wynn devise a plan to help break Wynn’s contract and get rid of Anise’s death magic all at once...what could possibly go wrong?

While these books aren’t works of high literature or incredibly complex they are very fun and light reads. I love all the baking magic in here. I also really enjoy the characters and the situations they are put into. Nothing is this book is super dark and the characters are never in really dire situations; this is just a fun read about magic, friends, and growing up.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this fun and magical read. The biggest issue with this book is how hungry it makes me! While this is a simpler story, I really enjoy the positive feel and how fun this series has been. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series and would recommend to those who enjoy lighter reads about YA witches and magic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sugar Spells.

October 22, 2018 – Started Reading