Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Being Caribou: Five Months on Foot with an Arctic Herd

Being Caribou by Karsten Heuer

I borrowed this book in a stack of books about Alaska from a friend who is a writer and teaches writing. It lingered for a while, and I pulled it back out for a book speed dating project for Science September.

This book is incredible in a number of ways. Heuer and his wife undertake a journey that most humans could not do. It is five months, thousands of miles, dangerous whether hot or cold, having to feed and shelter themselves. The ways it changes them throughout the journey are well captured by Heuer, even in the strangenesses that must be difficult to communicate. And overall, the writing is fantastic.

I have it on my desk at work and hope to add a few snips before returning it to its owner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being Caribou.

September 5, 2018 – Started Reading
October 28, 2018 – Shelved as: around-the-world
October 28, 2018 – Shelved as: location-usa-alaska
October 28, 2018 – Shelved as: location-canada
October 28, 2018 – Shelved as: location-canada-yukon

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan I really loved this book too. BTW Karsten and his wife Leanne made a phenomenal documentary called Finding Farley a few years ago. It's about a trip with their young child across Canada, part of the way by canoe, to meet Farley Mowatt in Newfoundland.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Dan wrote: "I really loved this book too. BTW Karsten and his wife Leanne made a phenomenal documentary called Finding Farley a few years ago. It's about a trip with their young child across Canada, part of th..."

Oh thanks that sounds fantastic!