Erin's Reviews > Baby, We Were Meant for Each Other: In Praise of Adoption

Jan 05, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, read-non-fiction
Read from January 05 to 09, 2012

The subtitle pretty much sums up the contents of this book. Simon explores adoption through his own experience adopting two daughters from China, and interweaves stories of other adoptive parents and children. Simon’s love for his daughters is moving in its intensity, but the rest of the book disappointed me for its lack of depth on a topic that really deserves more than the clichés he gave it. I expected more from a journalist, and as a fan of NPR’s Weekend Edition, I expected more from Simon.

It probably would have received 3 stars, but I had to subtract another for the convoluted sentence structure he employed throughout. Here, talking about ignorance in the words people can use: “But families who have adopted are quick to pick up on language that reveals those people who claim to detect differences between birth children and children who are adopted.” Later, talking about a couple who discovered they had both been adopted: “They considered themselves blessed and fortunate, but they didn’t talk about sharing that circumstance so much as knowing that they did made them (or at least Chris) feel that it could go unspoken.” I found myself frequently shaking my head to clear it, rereading, then RE-rereading a sentence to get the meaning. Language doesn’t always have to be concise, but in my opinion it should be clearer than that.

Despite those complaints, the book also contains one of my favorite quotes on parenthood thus far: “Parenthood is shit, snot, slime, fear, tears, spit, and spills. It’s as intense as combat, which is to say hours of tedium relieved by moments of alarm and flashes of joy to remind you that you’re alive. It is intensely practical and profoundly square, even if you’re not. It’s feeding, wiping, and picking up.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baby, We Were Meant for Each Other.

Quotes Erin Liked