Sarah's Reviews > One Step Back

One Step Back by Edie Danford

I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is a second chance romance about teen lovers and almost step brothers who reconnect as adults ten years later. It’s a beautifully written book that moves between past and present, giving readers intimate access to Joe and Asher’s long history together. I couldn’t help but fall hard for both Asher and Joe.

I love Edie Danford’s writing. The author’s characters always feel like intimate friends and Danford’s thoughtful and considered observations are wonderful. Asher and Joe’s teenage connection is a beautiful, gritty mix of innocence and angst. Their awkward adult connection is almost painful at the start. Much of the adult relationship builds through a few interactions spread across a few days but readers are taken back and forth between the somewhat mundane work encounters in the present and memories of the past. I love that the memories don’t build chronologically. Readers are jolted between beautiful firsts and painful hurts until the past feels more real than the present. At its heart, this is a growing up story. I love the way these men grow into themselves and I love the way they struggle to make their second chance work.

Beyond Asher and Joe’s personal relationship is a story about a growing disillusionment with the corporate world both men are tied to. It’s a story about Asher and Joe’s teenage dreams that somehow turned into skewed priorities that make them unhappy adults. I loved the romance in this story but I also enjoyed the hard look at the compromises we make for our professional lives. I really loved this book and I’m excited for the author’s next book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Step Back.

October 21, 2018 – Started Reading