Crowinator's Reviews > The Princess of Trelian

The Princess of Trelian by Michelle Knudsen

Jan 05, 2012

bookshelves: arcs, booklist-review, childrens-middle-grade, fantasy, 2012-reads, dragons

Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

I've been waiting for a sequel to The Dragon of Trelian since 2009. And The Princess of Trelian is an excellent one, keeping all of the elements I loved from the first novel but developing the characters and conflicts that propel the trilogy's story arc. This is a sadly under-appreciated traditional fantasy series with two engaging leads -- Calen, an apprentice mage with a rare ability, and Meg, the princess-heir who has a magical link with a dragon -- and a saving-the-kingdom plot that gives them both the opportunity to come into their own. Sure, it's not groundbreaking, but it's familiar in the best sense of the word, and it's a great fit for middle grade fantasy enthusiasts, especially if they like dragons or magicians-in-training. Longer review later, maybe, if I feel moved to expand on why I love Calen's and Meg's caring but platonic, BFF-style relationship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess of Trelian.

January 5, 2012 – Started Reading