.Lili. 's Reviews > Who We Were

Who We Were by Melissa  Collins

it was ok

I'm not going to rehash the blurb; I'll get down to the nitty-gritty. I had some issues with Who We Were by Melissa Collins. I'll list them.

1. The storytelling was very soap opera-ish. It was melodramatic, and OTT is some instances. I hate to say it, but it read very M/F.

2. Ryan's habit of running away and Quinn's doormat behavior. You know, the first time he ran away- I said okay, I can deal. More than once is a no. And Quinn just taking him back without a real apology and knowing it's going to happen again was irritating.

3. More telling than showing. I didn't get the connection between Ryan and Quinn. Yes, they were attracted to each other, and yes, they had common interests but asides from that they never really had in-depth conversations, we were just told of their intense connection. Lord knows Quinn tried, but it was like pulling teeth. Also, Ryan said he enjoyed Quinn's family dinners because it's where he could be himself, but there wasn't even a scene where we saw him interact with all of them. Again, we were just told. I needed these scenes so I could believe in Ryan's feelings for Quinn.

4. Now, this part is just nitpicking but- the first time that Ryan and Quinn were intimate: They were both virgins but somehow they managed to do everything just right, they knew just what to do, and experienced no pain and had this intense sexual encounter. I know it's romance but make it at least a little believable.

5. It was repetitive. I expected something different once they were adults, but it was the same events simply 12 years later. Literally.

6. The "Big Secret Reveal" that was dangled like a carrot on a stick almost the whole story. All I'll say is: really? The way his family treated him was way worse than the "big secret." It was unnecessary.

I'm the minority so be sure to check out other reviews, but for me, it didn't work.

2 Stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who We Were.

October 20, 2018 – Started Reading

JFC."
October 20, 2018 –
page 129
"

This is getting ridiculous."
October 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Renée (new) - added it

Renée Between you and Todd, I'm running away from this one.

.Lili. Renée wrote: "Between you and Todd, I'm running away from this one."

Yeah,I don't think you'll like this.