Dawn C's Reviews > The Way To The Stars

The Way To The Stars by Una McCormack

liked it
bookshelves: media-audible

This was a really sweet coming of age story, with a very likable character at the center. Sylvia Tilly is no less likable in the hands of Una McCormack. She’s relatable and not the trope she could easily have been. She’s a sensitive 16 year old who, under pressure from her successful, bossy mother, feels unable to live up to the expectations of being first in class at everything, and ends up skipping school, sneaking on board a starship and hiding on an alien planet. She makes mistakes, she’s out of her depth, but she’s determined to see her choices through, and all the while learn what it is she truly enjoys.

I even forgive the book its somewhat sappy moments and sugarsweet ending, because this was so obviously meant to be a feel-good story, and hopefully it can help empower young people to speak up when they’re unhappy, and help parents to listen when their children aren’t thriving.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way To The Stars.

October 20, 2018 – Shelved
October 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 12, 2019 – Started Reading
January 12, 2019 –
35.0% "Ah but this is so much more interesting than the previous Disco book. Thank god!"
January 12, 2019 –
January 12, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 13, 2019 – Shelved as: media-audible

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Gabi Yup, hope for the parent part as well. I'm still fuming when I think about her horrible mother.

Dawn C Yeah, in a different way I also had a mom who didn’t listen to me and I had to cut ties with her as an adult, so I can relate. I also really like that it wasn’t resolved, Tilly just kind of accepted that she had to live without her approval on everything. I wish I had learned to say no at a much earlier age.

Alex Bright It's definitely YA material, but I'm still enjoying it!

Gabi I was so lucky with my parents from paradise. It was always about what I wanted to do, never once did they try to impose their wishes on me.

Dawn C It’s very YA yes, but as long as it’s well written I really don’t mind :)