Akilah's Reviews > Meeting Your Half-Orange: An Utterly Upbeat Guide to Using Dating Optimism to Find Your Perfect Match

Meeting Your Half-Orange by Amy   Spencer

liked it
bookshelves: 2018, 40books, books-for-grownups, oct

2 stars for reading experience, 4 stars for impact = 3 stars overall

Okay, so my baseline about dating is not optimism, which means I am both not the target audience for this book but should also absolutely be the target for this book. I say that because Spencer assumes a level of hopefulness in her readers that I didn't have going in. And that's most of what colored my reading experience/reaction to the book.

Reading experience (2 stars): I sometimes found the overly perky language super annoying--to the point where I had to remind myself several times that I was reading a BRIGHT ORANGE book about OPTIMISM. You know, just to get my head back right. There's also a weird bit about feminism in here that was slightly off-putting but also let me know who Spencer's real target audience is (white women of a certain social class). (The class thing is also evident by all her examples. "Make a change in your life" often translated to moving across the country or visiting foreign countries or some other ridiculously expensive thing.) Also, the bit about the "grubby glow" made me roll my eyes, but that's also because I probably need a book specifically about dating as an ugly (or unapproachable, if I'm being kind) woman.

However, I will note again that as a dating pessimist, reading/finishing this book was always likely going to be a chore for me because the level of buy-in I had was in the negative range, so people with more positive attitudes toward the topic probably won't resist as much, which means their mileage may, of course, vary.

Impact (4 stars): All of that said, I journaled a bunch while reading the book and then, after I finished, I wrote about five pages in my journal before going to sleep and then, in the morning, wrote several more. It also made me rethink some people and experiences in my life. So, yeah, it was annoying to read but this will probably go on my end of year list as a book that changed my life. 🤷🏾‍♀️
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meeting Your Half-Orange.

Started Reading