Nina's Reviews > Pretty Crooked

Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig

Jan 05, 2012

Read from March 14 to 16, 2012

Pretty Crooked is equal parts fun, action and awesome. I haven’t read much of this kind of YA contemporary; I mostly tend to read the darker, depressing stuff, but Pretty Crooked showed me that some times I just need to read something that’s purely entertaining as well.

Willa was a great character with lots of spunk and attitude. She’s always moved around a lot with her mom, never stayed in one place for long, never had much money, never had many friends, but she was always happy enough. Now all of a sudden Willa’s got both friends and money, but as she’s enjoying life as part of the Glitterati she starts seeing that not everyone’s as lucky as her. I loved that even if she felt bad about the Glitterati’s behavior she couldn’t make herself dump them right away either, yet decided to make up for it in her own Robin Hood-inspired way.

I loved the excitement of Willa’s little thievery missions, and I kept holding my breath hoping she wouldn’t get caught. On top of that is the tension of Willa’s friendship with the Glitterati, the changing relationship between Willa and her mom, and the hilarious back-and-forth banter between Willa and Aidan. I didn’t always know whether to love or hate Aidan, but I really liked how there was more to him than meets the eye.

The ending was slightly open, in that it finished most of what started in Pretty Crooked, but still left enough questions open for me to be excited about Pretty Sly, which is coming out March 2013. All in all I think Pretty Crooked was a fun, exciting read, and I think it’s just as good for younger teens as for us who just like to pretend we’re YA;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Crooked.