Wanda's Reviews > London Rules

London Rules by Mick Herron

bookshelves: brit-lit, espionage, mysteries-thrillers, public-library, london, read-in-2018

I think Mick Herron’s Slough House series just keeps improving! Herron brings his characteristic humour to the creation of the failed spies of Slough House, with characters who all exhibit personal problems that interfere daily with their ability to function.

Roderick Ho, the obnoxious computer nerd, gets to shine not-so-brightly in this installment. He’s been assigned to Slough House because of the ridiculous self-delusionary bubble that he inhabits, not because of a work screw up. And the nature of his personal fantasy life tips him into the hands of North Korean operatives, bent on showing the U.K. that the Hermit Kingdom is its superior.

Despite the fact that all the other damaged members of the House despise Rod, when a car tries to run him down while he is stalking Pokemon on his way to work, everyone decides that they need to protect one of their own. Needless to say, Ho didn’t notice the attempt on his life and remains pretty clueless throughout the book. After four other volumes, we would expect no less (or is that no more?) of the Rodster.

Jackson Lamb, the malignant supervisor of Slough House, is at his obnoxious best in this installment. He is smoking to excess, drinking to excess, not maintaining his personal hygiene, insulting everyone who crosses his path, and (still) emitting reeking farts at will. But as truly horrible as he is, he protects his own. I was particularly happy, when at the end of this book, Lamb insists (view spoiler)

As Lamb remarks: Slough House, putting the “us” in “clusterfuck.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read London Rules.

October 19, 2018 – Shelved
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: brit-lit
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: espionage
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: mysteries-thrillers
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: public-library
October 29, 2018 – Started Reading
October 29, 2018 –
page 1
0.31% "I picked up the wrong book this morning in the dark! Or was I subconsciously wanting to read this next...."
October 29, 2018 –
page 25
7.65% "Eight months of anger fucking management sessions, and this evening she'd officially be declared anger free. It had been hinted she might even get a badge. That could be a problem--if anyone stuck a badge on her, they'd be carrying their teeth home in a hanky."
October 30, 2018 –
page 44
13.46% "Before she could stop herself, she said, "Shirley reckons we should keep an eye on Ho." "What, watch his back?" "That kind of thing." "After hours?" "The only harm he'll come to here is from us." "You know he goes clubbing, don't you?" "I figured." "With, I can only assume, like-minded people. People like Ho?" He paused. "We'll want hazmat suits.""
October 31, 2018 –
page 100
30.58% "Lamb had assumed what the slow horses called his hippo-at-rest position: apparently docile, but you wouldn't want to get too close."
November 1, 2018 –
page 254
77.68% "Ho's room was heavy with an acrid, non-specific odour which caught and battled, would probably kill rodents, or old people. Louisa was breathing carefully. On any list of rooms she was never likely to find herself in, this one was right behind Benedict Cumberbatch's, though for diametrically opposite reasons."
November 1, 2018 – Shelved as: london
November 1, 2018 – Finished Reading
November 2, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Great initial quote highlighting the humor, great summary, and great closing quote with the wordplay. As you may have already surmised, I think your review is great! (I was going to use the word "superb", but I had a lot of momentum with "great".)

Wanda Steve wrote: "Great initial quote highlighting the humor, great summary, and great closing quote with the wordplay. As you may have already surmised, I think your review is great! (I was going to use the word "s..."

Thank you, Steve! Have you been reading this series?

message 3: by Steve (new)

Steve No, I haven't, Wanda. But it does look tempting. Does it also put the luster in clusterfuck?

Wanda Well, definitely a bit of lust, anyway! I can hardly wait for the next volume, Joe Country.

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve :-)

message 6: by Tony (new)

Tony Brannon I received his book for Christmas having not read any of the series. Do I need to read the others or do they stand alone? Thanks

Wanda Tony wrote: "I received his book for Christmas having not read any of the series. Do I need to read the others or do they stand alone? Thanks"

Tony, I think you would get the jist of it, but why not start from the beginning and enjoy the progression? It's hard for me to answer this, having read the entire series in order!