Stacy's Reviews > Who We Were

Who We Were by Melissa  Collins

liked it
bookshelves: arc-books

3.5 Stars

So I had previously read (listened to) Let Love Live by this Author, when I saw this book coming out, I figured I would give it a go too since that book completely gutted me. After reading this book though, I think that the story might have had more of an impact on me if I had listened to this one in audio as well. Reading it was great, but with stories like this, sometimes they are just so much better when experiencing them in audio format first.

This book is structured along the same lines as “Let Love Live” being two separate halves of a whole story. The first part being set over a series of 5 or so years, when the guys, Ryan and Quinn are younger and in middle/high school. When they first meet, first impressions are not great, even though they both feel a weird and instant connection. Then the second half is set about 12 years after Ryan had left his family, home, and Quinn. At that point, Quinn is determined to not let Ryan run again and figure out what the heck even happened the first few times.

I really had a hard time with these guys. This book has so much drama and angst in it that totally could have been avoided with a few conversations between the characters. Ryan just runs from Quinn at every turn, for every little reason which doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense. The author gives us such build up throughout the entire length of the book as to why Ryan runs, that when the reveal finally happens I felt totally let down. Like, it was not as serious as the author made it seem during the course of the book, to the point I feel like I needed to lower my rating on this book a bit just for that fact. Seriously, lack of communication and wasting years over something that really wasn’t all that big of a deal and if Ryan would have just told Quinn or said anything at all, they could have avoided years of pain and hurt and missed time for both of them.

Ryan’s whole family seriously sucks and his brother is a total jerk, like a really, really horrible person and I have zero clues as to what Quinn’s sister sees in him. But on the other hand, Quinn’s family and his mom are totally awesome and I have no idea why Ryan didn’t just latch onto them and not let go...

This book was just a mix of contradictions and had some super frustrating characters and situations that made me just want to shake the stupid out of them. But overall the writing itself was good, I like how this author structures her books and makes us hurt right along with the characters each and every time, just experiencing all the feelings and emotions for them.

*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who We Were.

October 19, 2018 – Shelved