Lauren's Reviews > Blue Skies

Blue Skies by Catherine Anderson

F 50x66
Jan 05, 2012

liked it

This is the first book I've read from Catherine Anderson. I recently raided my grandmother's shelves and found this, liked the summary, and figured I'd give it a try. First off, I did like this book. I didn't love it and it definitely had its flaws, but I will begin with what I liked about the book first.

The author is a good storyteller. She knows how to pace stories where the plot doesn't get boring and when something needs to happen to progress the book, it does. I also liked the fact that the heroine and the hero aren't perfect. They have their flaws and it makes them more realistic.

However, the main problem I had with this book was the dialogue exchanged between the characters. I found that in the beginning of the book when the characters were discussing Carly's disease, it seemed very forced, as if it was being read off an informational brochure. The author seemed very focused on the disease in general and while I understand that it is important to allow the readers to be informed about it, because she went into so much depth, it slowed the pace of the story considerably and I found that I just skipped over whole paragraphs of the book. Also, along the lines of the dialogue, I kept thinking multiple times throughout the novel that one character would say something that just didn't suit them. For example, Hank would seem to go in and out of continually using his slang to sounding almost poetic to sounding as if he were a doctor. It wasn't consistent and I found it very distracting.

Overall, it was a good story. I'm glad I read it but I just wished the editing was a little better. Most likely, I'll check into what other books the author has to offer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Skies.