02emilyn's Reviews > The Upstairs Room

The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss

Jan 04, 2012

Read in January, 2012

The main issue of the book is World War Two. Annie is a Jew, and so she had to hide from the Nazis. She and her sister, Sini, have to separate from the rest of their family. They have to hide in an upstairs room.

This book is set in the Holocaust. They live in Holland. This book wouldn't even be a good book if it wasn't in this setting. The whole book has to do with the Holocaust, so if it weren't it wouldn't be a book.

The main character is Annie. She's a little girl. She has to go through a lot, and she doesn't even realize the real threat of the war for a long time. The antagonist would be Adolf Hitler. He is the whole reason this whole thing happened. He was really mean, and killed most of the Jews.

I really liked this book. One of the things I liked the most is how real it feels. The author is the main character so it really gives you a feel for it. It really helped me realize how terrible this time was, and how scary it was for the Jews.

"Jew, Jew, ugly mole, stick your face in a dirty hole. Stick your face in a mustard pot, by tomorrow Jew will rot" I disliked that quote cause it shows how mean the gentiles are to the Jews.

Theme: Those who try their hardest and do the most that they can do, usually get what they want.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants a new way to learn about World War Two. I didn't notice the real problems of it till I read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Upstairs Room.