Jane is not my name's Reviews > The Silent Patient

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

Whoa, what a read!! I loved every minute of it! I liked the mixture of suspense and psychology, the characters are very well built and the plot itself is a real roller coaster ride. Most definitely the debut novel of the season.
Theo is a psychiatrist, who tries to help other people to heal the wounds of his traumatized childhood. His new job at a psychiatric clinic makes his professional wish come true - he gets to treat a new patient, a notorious killer, who was found standing by her husband´s dead body with a gun in her hands and blood pouring from her slit wrists. Silent.

"Her lips were pale, bloodless; they fluttered occasionally but formed no words, made no sounds. She answered no questions. She could not, would not, speak."

And she remained like that for 6 years. But she made one statement. A painting. Alcestis. It spoke a thousand words.

"I wrote down a word, and underlined it: ALCESTIS. The self-portrait – it was important, somehow, I knew that, and understanding why would be central to unlocking this mystery. This painting was Alicia’s sole communication, her only testimony."

What does the painting mean and how does it explain the murder and Alicia´s silence? Who is the mysterious man in the shadows? And will Theo be able to solve the mistery of the silent patient while fighting his own demons?

"I waited. She stared at me. And then, finally, I got what I wanted – a definite reaction – a sign that told me I was on the right track. It was a small movement. Tiny, really. Nonetheless, it spoke volumes."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent Patient.

October 18, 2018 – Shelved