Rane's Reviews > The Gathering Storm

The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges

1987431

bookshelves: paranormal-pnr-supernatural, young-adult, cozies-mystery-suspense, keeper

Set in a time of Russia where the old, superstitions and folklore clash and give away to the new of science and new medicines. The Dark and Light court serve the tsar as old forces that were once banished arise anew, stronger with a young woman Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg deals with her dark ability that may end up saving all she knows and loves.

Robin Bridges could not have set this book at a better time, where old is giving into new ideas and thoughts, but the old ways are still very present with the workings of all that is paranormal that serve in the Russian Court some for the tsar others for their own gain. The political chess match is well played with Katherina stuck right in the middle.

Katherina dreams of being a doctor, with her father well known for his support of the medical field. Her dark gift makes her fear of every reaching her dream at times- the gift to bring the dead back to life. Katherina would rather not even acknowledge her gift until one night she uses it to save the tsar's heir from a spell, bringing her to the light of those who wish to gain power and use Katherina to reach their goal.
At times like Katherina all the glittering balls became very boring, behind all that glitter where you start to witness the silent chess match and power play.
Katherina could play the role of a royal debutante while behind the mask is a smart young woman. She plays her cards and while the deck is sometimes against her, she plays the cards she dealt as best as she can. She's also self-aware, she knows when she's acting dumb or not thinking straight. Katherina has a hard time trying to accept her gift, and the fear she lives under of every being discovered by her family. Many of her fears were very much on point, and her love for her family is wonderful, but can be called her weakness as their used against by those who wish for power and Katherina is their ticket. For the most part I really liked Katherina, raised as she was, she was a true product of her time, while staying to her roots and breaking through the barriers one brick at a time.

Nothing makes a reader- especially this reader- mad then a misleading back blurb. For The Gathering Storm, theirs huge hints of a so-called love triangle between dark and light. There was no such love triangle with more of a hint of romance that grows between Katherina and ONE GUY! The story read more like a paranormal mystery then some dark fae/ light fae trying to win the heart of Katherina. The Dark Prince-Danilo with his fake Maybelline eyelashes used Katherina for his own measure and means threatening Katherina’s family. SO no love lost there.
Katherina’s feelings for George Alexandrovich was very sweet with a growth of trust that later bloom to more. I appreciated the story even that with this romantic growth, then instant love-love seen so much in YA and PN books.

The story at times is slow going giving you hints of a bigger mystery that leads to some heavy suspense. The paranormal is always waiting on the wings to give you a glimpse of what hides underneath from vampires to ghosts.

Of course this is only the first book of the trilogy, and thankfully we’re not left with a cliffhanger. With unanswered questions I look forward to what Robin Bridges has up her writer’s sleeve for this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering Storm.

January 4, 2012 – Shelved
January 10, 2012 – Started Reading
January 10, 2012 – Shelved as: paranormal-pnr-supernatural
January 10, 2012 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 10, 2012 –
1.0% "been looking forward to this book!!"
January 11, 2012 –
33.0% "finally met the "Dark Prince" Danilo with his dark eyes and long eyelashes..yeah he's bad- bad news..I mean Maybelline eyelashes?! You know he's way to be good to be true"
January 11, 2012 –
66.0% "Oh no! Going into the political chess game and whose going to end up as pawns...-_-;"
January 12, 2012 –
100.0% "Whoa..tis great story! Review Soonish!"
January 12, 2012 – Finished Reading
January 13, 2012 – Shelved as: cozies-mystery-suspense
January 13, 2012 – Shelved as: keeper

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

AMythicalBeast I just got it from netgalley. Unfortunately, I wont be able to read it for a few weeks yet. So, I'm simmering with curiosity here. The reviews just kill me! Keep us updated about how you like it, k?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) How did I miss this one? Sounds very good!

Rane Will do Honour, it's got a hint of creepy and paranormal where it skims the edges of what's real or false. It's very good!

Rane It is great Lady D! Plus being set in a time of Russia where a fight between the old way of superstition and the new way of science are going head to head...just wow

AMythicalBeast You know what I hate about great books that are first in a series? - That they are the first in a series and the other two are yet to be written.
Cliffhangers are one thing, but cliffhangers with a 1&1/2 year waiting period? It would kill me.
Maybe I should just wait to read it till the next one comes out. (Though that probably wouldn't be fair to netgalley.)

message 6: by Erika (new)

Erika Wow Rane, you sounded so enthusiastic with this one :)

Rane Honour wrote: "You know what I hate about great books that are first in a series? - That they are the first in a series and the other two are yet to be written.
Cliffhangers are one thing, but cliffhangers with ..."

LOL! Then you would be missing out on the greatness of the first in the series ;P
But I have it that there is no cliffhanger in this book..but there are loose ends ;D

Rane Erika wrote: "Wow Rane, you sounded so enthusiastic with this one :)"

Yes! It's full of awesomesauce goodness *hugs*

message 10: by Erika (new)

Erika LOL :D you're making me jealous. I need to read a book with that kind of awesomesauce right now. Happy reading!

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I love your reviews, Rane! Even if the book you're reviewing isn't in my favorite genre, your reviews always make me want to read the book.

AMythicalBeast Thanks for clearing up the love triangle thing. I'll admit one of the things that was making me hesitate to start the book was the idea that yet another book has two great guys vying for the love of one confused woman. yeesh.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Great review, Rane. I definitely need to get this book. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

rameau The false advertising is really maddening, isn't it. Do the publishers and their marketing teams really think that people want to read about another love triangle ? Are they mad? At a time like this, they should be first to point out that this is a simple and subtle love story between two people and that the emphasis is on the plot rather than on an abusive romance.

Thanks for mentioning the faeries. I really didn't know what to say about them myself, since I'm not a fan of them.

Good review.

message 15: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Kristen wrote: "I love your reviews, Rane! Even if the book you're reviewing isn't in my favorite genre, your reviews always make me want to read the book."

*huge huggles* Thank you Kristen!

But I give all the credit to the great book I read, that are the true muse to my reviews

message 16: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Honour wrote: "Thanks for clearing up the love triangle thing. I'll admit one of the things that was making me hesitate to start the book was the idea that yet another book has two great guys vying for the love o..."

Your very welcome Honour!
I knew alot of us readers out there can't stand love triangles! Plus the romance (while very sweet) isn't the center of the story

message 17: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Great review, Rane. I definitely need to get this book. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!"

Your welcome Lady D! *hugs*

message 18: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane rameau wrote: "The false advertising is really maddening, isn't it. Do the publishers and their marketing teams really think that people want to read about another love triangle ? Are they mad? At a time like thi..."

Thank you rameau!

UGH! I don't know where these publishers minds are, but sometimes I'm sure it's not on the book or the readers.
Yeah, I think it would have been great if the focus was on the subtle romance with lives at stake!
There! The dramatic effect right there!

I'm still on the fence about the fae in the court, with their double dealing. Maybe their not as bad, but first impressions....they're not so good