Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > A Prayer Journal

A Prayer Journal by Flannery O'Connor

liked it
bookshelves: read2018, diaries, readingwomenchallenge2018

This is a quick read because half of it is a facsimile and the other half is transcribed (fixing spelling errors.) This is Flannery's writings to God (most entries start "Dear God,") during her time in college in Iowa. Entries range in topic from aspirations to faith to guilt to some peeks at her firey personality (through conflicts with others or frustrations over reading or rejection) and the intention behind her writing.

This isn't something that Flannery prepared for publication, and it suffers from that. It is incomplete (front pages and entries are missing) and it lacks her own commentary and editing. And it doesn't span a lot of time. But it will be interesting for people who enjoy her work, as an extra quick read to add a little context.

It ends abruptly with these two sentences, and I can't tell if they are frustration or humor: "Today I have proved myself a glutton - for Scotch oatmeal cookies and erotic thought. There is nothing left to say of me."

I read this for the Reading Women Challenge because I had already read her short stories and thought I'd go outside the box.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Prayer Journal.

October 17, 2018 – Started Reading
October 17, 2018 – Shelved
October 17, 2018 – Finished Reading
October 18, 2018 –
99.0% "10/17"
October 19, 2018 – Shelved as: read2018
October 19, 2018 – Shelved as: diaries
October 19, 2018 – Shelved as: readingwomenchallenge2018

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Canadian (new)

Canadian Reader . . . Or perhaps deeper into one particular box! 😉