Terence's Reviews > The Sentry

The Sentry by Paul Jenkins

23206148

liked it
bookshelves: marvel-unlimited-2018

Bob Reynolds wakes up one morning knowing something is wrong.
description
He can't immediately put his finger on what it is, but he thinks he's a superhero.
description
After some time he's sure he's a hero, but he can't understand why he and everyone else has forgotten him. The one thing he knows for sure is that his enemy, The Void, is returning and he's the only one who can stop him.
description

The Sentry was an interesting tale of a forgotten hero that the world was made to forget. Even his wife forgot who he was.
description
The Sentry was best friends with Mr. Fantastic and the ally of all the major superheroes. He's determined to help them remember and to figure out why everyone forgot.

I unfortunately already knew the main points of this story as I'm reading it over a decade after it was released. I can't help but believe it effected my enjoyment level of the story. To me the story felt far too long considering the amount of story that was unveiled. Five issues were spent with Bob Reynolds remembering who he was and trying to get the others to remember. That felt as though it could have been accomplished in an issue or two instead. I was surprised at the ultimate conclusion because it seemed simplistic and ineffective.

The Sentry was an interesting way to install a new character while making he seem like an old one. It was a creative idea to say the least.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sentry.

October 17, 2018 – Shelved
October 17, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 17, 2018 – Shelved as: marvel-unlimited-2018
October 22, 2018 – Started Reading
October 24, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent This is a lot more effective if you don't know all the beats before you start and isn't nearly as good on a reread.

At the time it was released, Wizard magazine was in on the hoax and even showed some "undiscovered" silver age art featuring the Sentry.

Terence Yeah that definitely makes sense that it would have been better with no knowledge of what was happening.

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent I also think every appearance of The Sentry after this really waters down the impact of this book.