Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell's Reviews > Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee

2190064

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

One of my favorite comedies is called Dogma (1999). It's a sorely unappreciated movie, and practically nobody I've talked to has heard of it - something that shocks me, given that its cast list is basically the "best of" list of the 90s from a wide variety of genres: Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Janeane Garofalo, Alan Rickman, Jay and Silent Bob, Salma Hayek, Chris Rock, and Alanis Morissette, who, incidentally, plays God Herself. I bet you are thinking to yourself that you know why this movie isn't very popular, and if you read the synopsis and saw this quote from the summary, "An abortion clinic worker with a special heritage is enlisted to prevent two angels from reentering Heaven and thus undoing the fabric of the universe," you're probably getting an even better idea. It's a movie that takes the piss not just out of Christians, but out of the bible and theology themselves, pointing out the hypocrisy, cruelty, and callousness that are sometimes done in the name of religion and even God.

Why am I bringing this up? Because it's a damn good movie and you should watch it, and also because it shares many themes with this book. I mean, apart from the obvious angels connection and the whole "bringing about the apocalypse" thing. You see, ANGELFALL is about the apocalypse. Angels have invaded Earth, and rather than being divine, fluffy-winged creatures of mercy, they are wreaking havoc and wrath upon humanity, destroying cities, killing humans, killing each other, and using our world as a turf war for internal politics that have nothing to do with faith or piety and everything to do with power.

Penryn, the heroine, is one of the humans. While out with her mother, who is probably schizophrenic, and her younger disabled sister who uses a wheelchair, they witness an angel getting his wings cut off. Moved by mercy to intervene, Penryn attacks the other angels, and as a result her sister is taken. Her mother flees, and Penryn is left alone with the angel... Raffe. Left with no other choice, they bond together. Raffe, to get his wings back. Penryn, to get her sister back. They have a common enemy: the other angels. But they are also wary and suspicious of one another, as well.

Their partnership is weird and awkward as they navigate the Bay Area (holla!). It reminds me a bit of The Walking Dead in terms of how gritty and realistic it feels. Penryn is a survivalist, and does what needs to be done to stay alive. Unlike 99% of so-called strong heroines, though, she isn't arrogant. She's confident, but she also has moments of fear or insecurity that make her relatable. I liked that the author actually had a reason for her physical prowess, rather than her just taking instantly to ass-kicking and wielding a sword, and I liked the slow developing sexual tension between her and Raffe.

But what makes this even better is that this is a book - written for girls - that does not hold back on unpleasantness. This book is dark. It has themes that are mature and complex and controversial. It is edgy. I couldn't put it down. I was originally going to use this book for my Halloween-themed romance challenge for the post-apocalyptic challenge and ended up going with UNDER THE NEVER SKY, and man. Apples and oranges. Apples and oranges. That book was stupid. This book is original and amazing and well-written and you just need to read it and see for yourself. I can almost forgive the author for destroying the city of San Francisco if this is what comes out of the rubble.

4 to 4.5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

April 11, 2015 –
page 4
1.23% "I was approved to review a copy of the sequel from Netgalley, so it seemed like a good time to get my ass in gear and read the first book in the series. :)" (Paperback Edition)
April 13, 2015 –
page 144
44.17% "Is this book living up to the hype?\n \n No.\n \n It's good and very readable, but I'm not as blown away as I hoped I'd be. Penryn is a bad-ass, but very immature and a litle inconsistent... I don't particularly like Raffe." (Paperback Edition)
April 14, 2015 –
page 326
100.0% "HMMMMMMMMMMM." (Paperback Edition)
October 16, 2018 – Started Reading
October 16, 2018 – Shelved
October 16, 2018 – Shelved as: new-adult
October 16, 2018 – Shelved as: this-is-the-way-the-world-ends
October 16, 2018 – Shelved as: pnr-uf
October 16, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

L.C. Perry Yesssss I'm so glad you liked the book! I love this series :3

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell L.C. wrote: "Yesssss I'm so glad you liked the book! I love this series :3"

It was a fun ride!

Gaufre Great review, Nenia. I loved how kick-ass the heroine was too, especially wielding that sword.

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Gaufre wrote: "Great review, Nenia. I loved how kick-ass the heroine was too, especially wielding that sword."

Yesssssss she was so bad-ass

message 5: by SSShafiq (new) - added it

SSShafiq I loved the movie (especially the part when Angel-Affleck is dropping people to the ground when flying and watching them go splat) - definitely adding this book to my TBR.

La Coccinelle Are you going to read the others? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the third one (it's kind of polarizing, and fans either seem to love it or hate it).

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell SSShafiq wrote: "I loved the movie (especially the part when Angel-Affleck is dropping people to the ground when flying and watching them go splat) - definitely adding this book to my TBR."

He was so evil. I also sort of shipped him with Bethany lol. >___>

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell La Coccinelle wrote: "Are you going to read the others? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the third one (it's kind of polarizing, and fans either seem to love it or hate it)."

I think I might the next time they go on sale! :D I'm always fond of reading polarizing books and seeing where I fall on the controversial scale.

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* I'm just here to say that I love Dogma <3

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "I'm just here to say that I love Dogma <3"

Yeeeee, another Dogma fan! OMG <3

Lexie Omg yes this is one of my favourites so glad you liked it! In my opinion this is the best one in the series the others ones aren’t quite as good but still enjoyable look forward to when you read them!

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Lexie wrote: "Omg yes this is one of my favourites so glad you liked it! In my opinion this is the best one in the series the others ones aren’t quite as good but still enjoyable look forward to when you read them!"

That is good to know! Thanks for the tip :-)

message 13: by Marija (new) - added it

Marija I absolutely love Dogma!...which means that I have to read this. Sounds very interesting! :)

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Marija wrote: "I absolutely love Dogma!...which means that I have to read this. Sounds very interesting! :)"

I had no idea I had so many friends who enjoyed that movie! That makes me very happy. :D And yes, you should read this book!

message 15: by Marija (new) - added it

Marija Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ wrote: "Marija wrote: "I absolutely love Dogma!...which means that I have to read this. Sounds very interesting! :)"

I honestly don't know that many people who even heard of it, as you said. Every time I watch it I find something new that I like :) I will definitely give this book a shot. I avoid those stories with angels like Fallen or Hush Hush but this seems different. I hope I'll like it. ^^

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Marija wrote: "Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ wrote: "Marija wrote: "I absolutely love Dogma!..."

Yes, same! It's one of those movies with so many details and layers that you can pick up on a new thing each time you watch it. This is definitely not like FALLEN, which was very much an angsty clone of TWILIGHT in nature. While I liked FALLEN, I feel like ANGELFALL is much darker and more action-focused in this book than romance-focused, with a heroine who is not afraid to kick ass.

message 17: by Peggy (new) - added it

Peggy Great review! Really looking forward to reading this! Do you know of any other angel books?

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Leia wrote: "Great review! Really looking forward to reading this! Do you know of any other angel books?"

One of the most famous is Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate. A lot of people don't like it, but I enjoyed it when I read it. It's very similar to NEW MOON (from Stephenie Meyer), so if you like the TWILIGHT series, you'll probably enjoy it!

message 19: by SSShafiq (new) - added it

SSShafiq Leia wrote: "Great review! Really looking forward to reading this! Do you know of any other angel books?"

Nalini Singh's Angels' Blood comes to mind. But it is more on the romance side than SFF.

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell SSShafiq wrote: "Leia wrote: "Great review! Really looking forward to reading this! Do you know of any other angel books?"

Nalini Singh's Angels' Blood comes to mind. But it is more on the romance s..."

Oooh, I have that on my Kindle >:D

Mel (Epic Reading) Wooo!! Dogma. Many of my generation know this movie very well. 😉 it was a cult classic when I was a teen.

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Mel (Epic Reading) wrote: "Wooo!! Dogma. Many of my generation know this movie very well. 😉 it was a cult classic when I was a teen."

I can see why! There's nothing like it- and it's such a clever, funny movie

message 23: by Vera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vera Ah, I remember years ago when you couldn't understand the hype of this book, but I'm glad you loved it on second try

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Vera wrote: "Ah, I remember years ago when you couldn't understand the hype of this book, but I'm glad you loved it on second try"

Yeah I think I gave it 3 stars the first time. Definitely was able to enjoy it more with the pressure off.