R.J.'s Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Jun 27, 2008

If anybody had told me a few months ago that I would soon read a book about a world devastated by a Zombie Apocalypse and be totally blown away by it, I would have scoffed at them. Because I don't read horror, and I especially don't read about zombies. Yuck.

But then I got the chance to read Carrie Ryan's first chapter on the Debut 2009 authors group, and her lyrical, haunting writing and the powerful atmosphere of the book sucked me in. From then on I couldn't wait to read the rest of THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH, and when I finally got the chance, I was not disappointed.

This book has its chilling moments (one in particular still haunts me, and if you read this book I have no doubt that you'll know what it is as soon as you get to it), but it is not a horrorfest. It's a powerful book told from the perspective of a very believable teenager caught up in a terrible series of events, and being forced to struggle for survival while questioning her identity, her beliefs, her relationships, and what she really wants out of life.

The descriptions of the Sisterhood, their practices and beliefs did make me sigh a little because I've had my fill of intolerant religious fanatics in fiction, and in this case it seems especially unfair because the book's premise pretty much stacks the deck against conventional beliefs to begin with. But there's at least a glimmer of hope that the Sisterhood's brand of mutated Christianity is not the only kind of faith there is in Mary's world, and I look forward to the possibility of this being explored more in the sequel.

Oh, and did I mention that Carrie Ryan's writing is incredibly beautiful?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki Sounds interesting. It appeals to my post-apocalyptic/dystopian jones.