Ashley Houser's Reviews > Someone Like Me

Someone Like Me by M.R. Carey

Won this book in a Goodreads giveaway! Thank you to Orbit Books for the giveaway copy. If you don't read and review books you win in giveaways, you should. Do the right thing. End rant.

I'm going to give this book 3.5 stars which I'll round up to 4 stars on Goodreads because... well... no half stars allowed. Come on Goodreads... give a girl some options please!

Any who.. back to Someone Like Me. I really enjoyed the first half of this book. It sucked me in instantly with a concept that was really interesting. Action packed from the start, the book begins with Liz being attacked by her ex-husband when an unexplained force comes over her that allows her to fight back with a strength and anger unlike anything she's ever experienced. Can you say split personality? Meanwhile, Liz's son has befriended a girl from school named Fran who has a dark and disturbed past. Liz and Fran's stories come colliding together in a suspenseful novel by M.R. Carey.

What did I like about this book? One of my favorite things about the book was how the chapters were "numbered" with illustrations that coincided with the character whose story was being told. I thought it was a very clever way to identify the character whose story line was being told via pictures rather than words. I also really enjoyed the characters and felt like they were well developed. And the relationships between the characters were fun to see unfold.

What didn't I like?

1. It was a tad too long and could have benefited from some editing.
2. The dialogue at times felt a tad juvenile and unrealistic. I had a hard time imagining real life people actually saying the sentences that were presented as dialogue between characters.
3. It took a little bit of a paranormal turn that I didn't expect. And while it was an interesting turn, I felt there were a lot of questions left unanswered. I think I would have enjoyed the book more if it stuck with a mental health angle rather than a paranormal angle.

Overall, a good book with some intriguing content. Definitely has some unexpected turns that are exciting but at the end of the day, not my favorite book in the world. I'll put this in the "just okay" camp.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone Like Me.

October 16, 2018 – Shelved