Qi's Reviews > Aloes

Aloes by Chris Quinton

F 50x66
Jan 04, 2012

it was ok

Aloes started well enough. It isn't written in alternating two-person point of view, thank God. I found the camaraderie between Perry, Victor, and the rest of the office to be adorable. I loved how Quinton wrote Perry's family life as well--how she managed to show how his relationship with his sister had changed over their lives. His friendship with Joe was also nice to read, though it developed far quicker than I thought to be realistic. I was afraid for a bit that it would devolve into a love triangle.

Unfortunately, I felt that Perry's relationship with Drew and, to some extent, Cray were handled extremely heavy-handedly throughout the book. Perry's feelings seemed like rebound to me (with respect to Drew) and Cray's outburst that Perry repeats to himself throughout didn't quite seem natural.

My biggest complaint, though, was the perpetrator of the mystery subplot (which was unnecessary, in my opinion). (view spoiler)'s remorse and new view of his father came too quickly and unbelievably. All I could do at the end was roll my eyes, really.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aloes.