Ananya Vahal's Reviews > Tales from la Vida: A Latinx Comics Anthology

Tales from la Vida by Frederick Luis Aldama

63620788

Tales From La Vida: A Latinx Anthology is a graphic novel filled with some of the most talented Latinx artists and writers in the country and edited by distinguished Ohio State University professor Frederick Luis Aldama. This is the type of book you read in one sitting. The vast variety of styles in cartooning and intimate storytelling make it impossible to put down. Artists like Crystal Gonzalez and Jamie Crespo explore their struggle with identifying as Latinx. Artists like Breena Nuñez Peralta and Carlos “Loso” Pérez explore the complicated experience of being labeled and identifying as Afro-Latinx. Artists like Ivan Velez Jr. and Kelly Fernandez explore family traditions and folklore. The stories are a beautiful expression of what it means to be Latinx for each individual artist and writer involved. Through their experiences, they show us how they are viewed in the United States by the non-Latinx community as well as within their own families. The unapologetic authenticity of the stories made this one of my favorite graphic novels to date. I highly recommend this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales from la Vida.

Finished Reading