megs_bookrack's Reviews > Hex

Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt

**3.5-stars rounded up**

A town cursed by a witch, or a woman cursed by a town?

That is the question.

Welcome to Black Spring. A charming little village set in the beautiful Hudson River Valley.

Picturesque as can be, an outsider would have a hard time imagining the horror the town's citizens endure on a daily basis.

The Black Rock Witch, a 17th-Century woman, murdered by her contemporaries after having her mouth and eyes sewn shut, lurks amidst the townsfolk to this day.

Not a hazy apparition that only certainly people sense or see, she's there, in the flesh.

They all have interactions with her. They can touch her and even harm her if they so choose.

No one ever does though, as rightly they anticipate her vengeance would be swift and brutal. Why don't they just move away, you wonder?

Well, that's just it. They can't. No one can move away.

Once you are settled in the town and privy to its secrets, you can never leave. As in, a supernatural force literally blocks you from escape.

This was a really unique take on a haunting. I enjoyed that aspect of the story so much, as well as the way the town dealt with the issue of the haunting.

They had developed, as a town, a great system for tracking and monitoring the spirit.

They used high tech surveillance to keep an eye on her, but in turn, end up tracking a lot of the citizen's actions as well.

When some of the teenagers become frustrated with living under such strict regulations, they start acting out towards the ghost. Their cruel actions ultimately cause all hell to break loose.

Although, I was never able to fully sink into this one, I still decided to round up to 4-stars due to the author's fabulous creativity.

Haunting stories have been done numerous times, but this one did offer up something new in my opinion.

Also, I am wondering if the difficulty I had connecting to the story was more from the fact that it has been translated from the original Dutch, versus the actual story itself.

The writing style seemed very blunt. I was always aware I was reading a book instead of being told a story, if that makes sense.

Overall though, I would definitely recommend this to horror lovers.

Especially people who are looking for something out of the ordinary. This story is definitely worth giving a shot!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex.

October 16, 2018 – Shelved
October 16, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 7, 2019 – Started Reading
October 8, 2019 –
42.0% "This is so weirdly compelling. I seriously have never read anything quite like this. I have no clue where it is going and I'm down for that."
October 11, 2019 –
51.0% "Ready to focus on this now.
I got sucked down the rabbit hole of American Predator!!"
October 12, 2019 –
October 12, 2019 –
October 13, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Emma It IS worth it. And it is VERY creepy!

megs_bookrack Emma wrote: "It IS worth it. And it is VERY creepy!" I read about a 1/4 of it just yesterday! It's so different, really enjoying it so far, Emma!

Michelle Personally, I loved this one and I hope you do too, Megs! 💙

megs_bookrack Michelle wrote: "Personally, I loved this one and I hope you do too, Megs! 💙" Thanks, Michelle! So far I am impressed with how unique it is. I have never read anything quite like it, that's for sure!

message 5: by Dita (new)

Dita Ooooh!

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "Ooooh!"...still thinking... 🤔😉

message 7: by Dita (new)

Dita Ha, I was excited and intrigued.

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "Ha, I was excited and intrigued.

I arrogantly expect everyone to be fluent in Dita and it gets me into trouble frequently. Lol."
hahahaha! I need you to read this and tell me what you think...

message 9: by Dita (new)

Dita Hmmmm...I am a solid "perhaps". : )

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "Hmmmm...I am a solid "perhaps". : )" ...that's good enough for me! ;) xo

message 11: by Dita (new)

Dita Hahahahahhaha!

Jeffm518 A bit of a funny coincidence. One character has the same last name as me and loved churros, those are my favorite dessert too.

megs_bookrack Jeffm518 wrote: "A bit of a funny coincidence. One character has the same last name as me and loved churros, those are my favorite dessert too."
That's so fun! I love finding little coincidences like that in books. It makes you feel more involved somehow :)