Perry Hayden's Reviews > White Picket Fences: Turning toward Love in a World Divided by Privilege

White Picket Fences by Amy Julia Becker

What has this book done for me?  This book has made me think about what I am doing.  Am I really inclusive?  Do I really want to do something?  Is the sharing and caring I did for families when working enough?  Amy Julia comes from a privileged background, yet she has made it clear she has questions and doesn’t always know what to do.  Amy Julia tells of her privilege, which in turn can make you think of your own privilege.  What is privilege for me?  Often books on this topic are filled with someone swooping in to effect change.  Suggestions are made that we paeans could not effect without being told to do it.  I like Amy Julia’s candid style in which she tells of her struggle. Reading her words can help you start to think of the struggle in your own life.  In some parts, there is a good bit of Biblical reference which could be off putting, especially if your Bible knowledge is not too extensive.  However, Amy Julia brings us back to focus on the power of love.  We should be doing things because we want to do them.  We should share in love for all people.  If you are willing to take an honest look at yourself, this book can get you started thinking about who you are and who you want to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Picket Fences.

Started Reading