Grace's Reviews > Wives and Daughters

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

Jan 04, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-all, 2012-new, classics, library-brooklyn

I finished it early this morning and I've been thinking all day about what I wanted to say about it. I really liked it on so many levels! I like the way that Gaskell writes and presents her characters. I *love* Molly to pieces, and I really enjoyed that Cynthia was pretty sympathetic (for me at least) where in many books she probably wouldn't have been. I do wish we'd gotten to read the final chapter or two in Gaskell's own words, although I don't think it necessarily took anything away from the story, which was more or less complete anyway.

But in spite of all that, I wasn't quite as into the romance between Molly and Roger as I wanted to be. I feel like I liked them as a couple on more of an intellectual level, a little bit more because I knew I was supposed to than because I had STRONG FEELINGS about them as a romantic ship. I'm not sure there's a good explanation as to why this is, either.

Anyway, I did enjoy this book a lot and would recommend it. Just not quite as much as some of my other favorites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wives and Daughters.

January 4, 2012 – Shelved
January 13, 2012 –
page 451
66.42% "It's entirely possible that I feel too much on Molly's behalf. WHY DOES NO ONE IN YOUR LIFE APPRECIATE YOU?"
Started Reading
January 14, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-all
January 14, 2012 – Finished Reading
January 16, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-new
January 16, 2012 – Shelved as: classics
January 3, 2013 – Shelved as: library-brooklyn

steph yayyyyyyyyyy! I love that you are finally getting around to reading this. :)