Mark Lawrence's Reviews > Sinners

Sinners by Tom   Brown

It says book 2 but book 1A was a substantial thing, so as far as I'm concerned I've read three of these now

The Hopeless, Maine series is a peculiarity even among the diversity of graphic novels. It's a kind of gentle horror, a round cornered style of gruesome that is all about mood and moments.

The art is detailed, quirky, very dark (in terms of the palette) and fond of tentacles + disembodied eyes. I've been a fan for years, but art, like humour, is a particularly personal taste.

In this book the chapters are divided by full page art, two or three pages, and some (possibly all ... my art knowledge is insufficient to tell) appear to be tentacle-laced homages to classic images like Hokusai's Great Wave Off Kanagawa and Grant Wood's American Gothic.

The story focuses on Owen, newly returned the island and the first escapee in forever, and Salamandra, who is questioning the source of her magic. There's a lot of story, necessitating many frames per page and a font size that let me know I really need reading glasses (the ignominy of growing old).

I enjoyed the tale, which starts off mysterious and ends the same way, leaving resolution to a future volume. We get to see and enjoy a good number of the island's peculiar inhabitants, from vampires and semi-spectral children's nannies, to witches, skeletal dogs, and the rather inbred human population.

If I had any niggle it is my recurring issue with in-chapter transitions relating to change of location and time which wrong footed me occasionally.

All in all an excellent addition to the growing saga of this dark, isolated, and mist-shrouded island. This series won't be to everyone's taste but it is to mine, and a short time on Google should be enough to get a feeling for the work and decide if you're going to like it.

Join my 3-emails-a-year newsletter #prizes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sinners.

October 16, 2018 – Started Reading
October 16, 2018 – Shelved
October 22, 2018 –
page 58
48.33% "Dark and mysterious as ever!

This and my copy of The Shadow of the Torturer have let me know in no uncertain terms that I am in need of reading glasses :/"
November 20, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Corinne (new)

Corinne so it begins. sorry about that.

message 2: by Corinne (last edited Nov 01, 2018 06:11AM) (new)

Corinne I can't stop coming by to look at that cover. It's beautiful.

Mark Lawrence Corinne wrote: "I can't stop coming by to look at that cover. It's beautiful."

Get a copy and you can look at the insides too! :D

message 4: by Corinne (new)

Corinne Smart man. Why did I not think of that :D