Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos

The Hidden Reality by Brian Greene

Jan 04, 2012

liked it

The first book I had by Brian Greene was The Fabric of the Cosmos. I got it not long after it was releases and a friend asked me if he could borrow it not long after I received it in the mail, before I'd read it.

I said yes.

I didn't get the book back for several years, Dr. Greene had written more by then. Oh well.

This book (as is Dr. Greene's wont) is an attempt to take highly technical and advanced ideas and make them understandable to "us", "we", "the great unwashed", "the masses". I suppose in all truthfulness it only succeeds to a point.

I mean, I know I don't have the math to grasp the heart of what he's talking about and even I can see the imprecision.

Still, he does take the difficult, sugar coats it and lays it out there. (I kept seeing that scene from Big Bang Theory where they have a cameo from Dr. Greene and Sheldon's reaction to him).

If you're a physicist (theoretical or experimental I suspect) this book will probably be hopelessly imprecise and simple, if your like me, it's fairly interesting. Even though I know that what I'm getting is at best a broad outlined picture (where the multiverse is compared to a large Swiss Cheese with the bubbles pictured as the universes). The book is laid out largely in the format of here it is, here's what we think/know and here's why. It assumes that those reading it won't really be in a position to challenge it and tries to be as simple as possible.

In short not a bad book and manages to lay things out in a relatively (get it "relatively") simple way when dealing with a difficult set of subjects (or subject if it's "unified" :) ). Enjoy. If it interests you I recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Reality.

Finished Reading