Patrick Sherriff's Reviews > Year of the Talking Dog

Year of the Talking Dog by Patrick Sherriff

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: crime-and-such, japan

I'm writing the third installment right now in this series and I thought I ought to read the first one (Half Life) and Year of the Talking Dog (my second novel) again to keep everything consistent as it's been six years since I wrote the first and two since this one. Anyway, you know how Alien was awesome but flawed and the sequel Aliens was perfectly decent but a bit lacking in awesome? So it is with Year of the Talking Dog. I think I'd been so intent on righting the wrongs of my first novel that Talking Dog lost something of the quirky charm of Half Life. Gone were the strange ticking clock chapter headings, the twitter feeds and letter from a Japanese Prime Minister, to be replaced with running around Tokyo tourist sights. The writing was stronger, the plotting was better but something of the quirkiness of the first was missing. You know how when you turn on the shower in an unfamiliar bathroom and it's way too cold at first so you turn it to hot and then it's way too hot? Like that, but the third time you adjust the nozzle, that's where the sweet spot is. Download my starter library for free here - http://eepurl.com/bFkt0X - and receive my monthly newsletter with book recommendations galore for the Japanophile, crime-fiction-lover in all of us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year of the Talking Dog.

October 7, 2018 – Started Reading