Ashlee » Library In The Country's Reviews > Dark of the West

Dark of the West by Joanna Hathaway

I LOVED this book and am now obsessed with this world. A fantasy world at war inspired by World War II-era Europe? It is just as beautiful and bittersweet as it sounds.

Some books move so slowly you feel as though your soul is being sucked away. Other books move at a steady progression, building and building, while you know a sudden crescendo will bring it all crashing down. This is the latter and it’s still building.

The MOMENT I finished I went back to read the Prologue straight away and it just hit me SO. DAMN. HARD. Seriously, read the book and then read the prologue again. Good luck keeping those tears at bay. I knew it likely took place later in Aurelia and Athan’s story, but it doesn’t take place at the end of this book and we are still learning about these two, their relationship and what will bring them to that point in the prologue. There is still so much to come.

And let me just say, this book is written and plotted fantastically. Ingeniously. The characters have a well of depth, much of it still to be discovered. Hathaway paints these characters well. They are young. They are impressionable. They want to be heard and want to please. They are teenagers. They are realistic.

As I was reading, I couldn’t help but think of movies like Atonement – and I just have this sickening feeling we are headed down a very similar path, but I also can’t look away. I know this story is gritty and the world Hathaway has written is sweeping and golden in its detail. I know there are dark things to come and things are only just beginning but I have to know. I have to know these two will eventually get their mountain.

This is a story about the desperation of war and love and finding your voice. THIS is the type of story that will stick with you. THIS is the type of story that should be written and I’m so very grateful it was.

View review on my blog, Library in the Country

Review copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark of the West.

October 14, 2018 – Shelved
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 3, 2019 – Started Reading
February 3, 2019 –
page 0
0.0% "Finally getting started on this ARC and glad for it! 🙌🏻"
February 3, 2019 –
1.0% "“And yet here, today, the sky can’t save him from the earth.”

i’m already dead"
February 5, 2019 –
26.0% "Omg Arrin you are such a flirty bastard. 😂"
February 6, 2019 –
77.0% "This book serves so many feelings and I am obsessed with it. I cannot help but to think of movies like Atonement and I don’t know what to do with that yet. 😭"
February 6, 2019 – Finished Reading