Charity's Reviews > In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

Incredibly well researched account of an ambassador's family's time in Germany in the early 1930s. It reminds one that a government run on caprice and for which attaining and maintaining power is the primary objective can have a significant influence on world history. It also inspires caution about blind loyalty to one's party rather than to one's ideals.

Mostly, though, it shows how the majority of people in Germany and elsewhere were just engaged in their own lives, trying to adjust and readjust to changes in their day-to-day, as most of us are now. There's so much to look at and keep track of, it's difficult to know what's significant except in retrospect.

I enjoyed the audiobook but probably would have retained more had I read the book-book.

A quote that interested me, by George Messersmith: "We must keep in mind, I believe, that when Hitler says anything he for the moment convinces himself that it is true. He is basically sincere, but he is at the same time a fanatic."

I'm also interested in the shift in connotation of the word "fanatic" during the Third Reich that Erik Larson mentions. I assume that in this quote Messersmith means it in the pre-Third Reich sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Garden of Beasts.

October 14, 2018 – Shelved