Lacer's Reviews > Harry Potter: A History of Magic

Harry Potter by British Library

U 50x66

liked it

I have both the hardback and the audiobook of this, I will admit that I’ve looked at the gorgeous pictures in the hardback but ‘read’ it as the audiobook. I should say that the audiobook is not a straight narration of the hardback text, I’m sure a lot of it is the same but it’s arranged differently. The audiobook is quite like a podcast or a radio documentary, with interviews with people involved in the Harry Potter - History of Magic exhibition and people involved in the production of the Harry Potter books and audiobooks.

The book looks at the history of magic by using examples from the Harry Potter series and then looking at real life examples such as books written about the subject in the past and tools that real life witches and wizards would have used. I really liked how the book emphasised how ‘magic’ was often mankind’s first attempt to understand the world and how it works, ie a first attempt at science. There were some great stories about early pioneers going off and discovering stuff.

I’m glad that I listened to the audiobook because as beautiful as the hardback is, I’m far too much of an impatient reader at the moment and I don’t think I would have found the time to sit down and read this, whereas audiobooks are always great for listening to whilst doing something else. So the multitasker in me was satisfied and I did like hearing directly from people like Stephen Fry and Jim Kay but a bit of me wishes that I did have the time and patience because although hearing about the descriptions of these wonderful objects was great, it would have been nicer to have seen them at the same time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter.

October 14, 2018 – Started Reading