Space's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Jan 04, 2012

bookshelves: audio-books, time-travel
Recommended for: History junkies, sci-fi junkies
Read from January 04 to 26, 2012

Wow, what a fascinating tale! I think King really did well working outside his comfort zone with the science-fiction genre. Historically, my chief complaints with King's tales are his endings. The Stand anyone? Seriously? But here I wasn't let down. Well, not completely.

The end of this story... could it have been better? Well, yeah. But I'm not saying it was bad either. It wasn't typical King bad. I'm also not saying I could have done better. I think it was probably appropriate. I think quite possibly, the protagonist did exactly what I would have done, given his age. However, I, the reader, wanted him to do something different. I wanted him to finish what he had run from the Green Card Man intending to do.

(view spoiler)

He got pretty long-winded with all the crap between Oswald and his wife. I think he could have trimmed off about an hour of that. And the one thing he says in On Writing you should never do is use adverbial dialog attribution. Uh, Steve? Have you forgotten you said that? Aside from all that though, the story itself was great. All said and done, this was probably my favorite book by King. I'm a big time-travel guy, you know. And it also didn't hurt that Craig Wasson read it. Damn, that guy has a great voice for characters! I'm going to give this review - as well as all my audiobook reviews - another category called performance. That will be for rating the narrator.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.

01/05/2012
4.0% "Man this is rich. And Craig Wasson is a remarkable voice for the story."
01/09/2012
24.0% "Getting into the real meat of the story now. I've been trying to find reasons to drive just so I can listen more."
01/13/2012
44.0% "Starting to realize small plot developments that are going to cause trouble for our hero. Getting a little nervous. The tension is marvelous."
01/25/2012
63.0% "I'm now two hours away from the assassination attempt. It's weird to be reading two separate books about the assassination of two separate presidents at the same time. But also kind of a neat experience. I'm seeing all the angles and parallels."