Sarah's Reviews > The Secrets You Hide

The Secrets You Hide by Kate Helm

Read 2 times. Last read October 8, 2018 to October 14, 2018.

So much more than psychological thriller, ‘The Secrets You Hide’ is a wonderful example of storytelling, rich with character and a sense of place, with a fascinating and original premise. Perhaps it should come as no surprise therefore, to learn it’s not a novel by a first time author; we may not know ‘Kate Helm’ but the book is in fact the first in its genre by Kate Harrison, author of the ‘Secret Shopper’ series, as well as the ‘’Soul Beach’ YA trilogy. Some readers (myself included) may also be familiar with her ‘5/2’ series of fasting / healthy eating books.

’The Secrets You Hide’ is like none of these however, it’s the pacy tale of Georgia, a court room artist with a tragic past, who starts to see mysterious figures - initially a small boy - that no one else can and then gets caught up in investigating a series of crimes many miles from her Brighton home in the eerie Forest of Dean. The reason for her ‘second sight’ proves fascinating, and from the outset I was on her side, sympathising with her frustrations and fury.

On audio the book is narrated beautifully with the voiceover adopting different voices for each character, and had me listening at every opportunity - finally finishing it at 2am this morning. I absolutely loved it, and recommend it not just to those who enjoy thrillers but also fans of contemporary fiction who are looking for something a bit different.
In this respect the cover - which I like - perhaps doesn’t say as much as it could; this book is more colourful in terms of character and complex in themes than the monotones suggest. But that’s a moot point, I’d just say don’t hesitate to give it a go, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secrets You Hide.

Finished Reading (ebook Edition)
October 8, 2018 – Started Reading
October 14, 2018 – Shelved
October 14, 2018 – Finished Reading
November 9, 2018 – Shelved (ebook Edition)