Becky's Reviews > Dear Santa

Dear Santa by Nancy Naigle

liked it
bookshelves: arc, contemporary, holiday

Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 10/17/18.

Dear Santa is a sweet seaside holiday retelling of You've Got Mail, with Christmas stores in the place of bookstores. It's an incredibly sloooow moving romance (as was the movie, come to think of it) so don't look for a lot of hands-on action. Or any, really. There are some swoony gestures, though, and that's just as good.

Though the whole "Dear Santa" part of the story is cute, it requires quite a bit of suspension of belief...how is it possible that Geoff, at least, doesn't figure out who his pen pal is sooner? She gives him the name of her store in the very first email and mentions the name of their small resort town a few emails later. And she didn't even have a glimmer of an "I wonder..." when he gave her that bouquet? I mean, really...

Angela feels a bit pricklier than she needs to be for much of the book, and Geoff isn't at his best when he's reflecting on the awesomeness of his business plan. (The lack of care for how disposable literally everything in his store is felt especially tone deaf after the past week's climate news, which isn't really fair but I couldn't help but think of it as I read.) By the end, though, they both manage to pull themselves together into characters the reader wants to root for, and the epilogue was very sweet.

I haven't even decorated for Halloween yet, but have a sudden urge to put up some twinkly lights now... ;)

Rating: 3 stars / C+

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Santa.

October 13, 2018 – Started Reading