megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Devouring Gray

The Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn Herman

liked it
bookshelves: ya-fantasy-to-read, 2019-releases, arcs-to-read

**3.5-stars**

Sawkill Girls met Strange Grace.
They fell in love and had a baby.
They named it, The Devouring Gray.

BRANCHES, STONES, DAGGERS, BONES...

Welcome to Four Paths, New York -- words Violet Saunders could have done without. Riddled with grief after the loss of her sister, Violet is forced to move to Four Paths and start her life over. Not great.

It quickly becomes clear that Violet's mom, Juniper, has a very strong connection to Four Paths. In fact, she is a member of one of the founding families. The founders are treated like royalty in town -- quite literally revered as deities.

Why, you may ask?

Because they were the ones to capture the monster, trap it in the gray and continue to protect the townsfolk from it. Duh.

There are a lot of details that go into this story. The history of the town, the history of the founding families, the rituals, the powers, the secrets, the betrayals.

It's a lot.

Basically, the monster trapped in 'the gray' is no longer as dormant as he used to be and teens that are each a part of one of the four founding families come together to fight back. There are familial and friendship dramas, secrets and investigations, love gone awry -- all the stuff.

It's in here.

At times, I felt like I should have been taking notes, which decreased my ability to relax into the story. Additionally, there were a lot of rapid perspective shifts that tended to knock me out of it as well. While the content was quite interesting, the flow seemed a little off for me.

It was definitely dark, which is one of my favorite things, and the characters and history of the town were compelling. I loved the ending. It gave me chills and I will definitely read the next book in the duology.

I even feel that I could reread this one. It may be easier the second time round as I have a better handle on what is going on.

All of this being said, however, for a debut, this is impressive and I hope a lot of readers pick it up!

Thank you so much to the publisher, Disney Book Group, for providing me with a copy to read and review. I appreciate the opportunity and look forward to hearing what other readers think of this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devouring Gray.

October 13, 2018 – Shelved
March 10, 2019 – Started Reading
March 11, 2019 –
March 13, 2019 –
March 16, 2019 –
35.0% "I would like Orpheus to meet Church. They have so much to talk (meow) about, I am sure 🐱🐈🖤👻"
March 19, 2019 –
42.0% "...too early to ship Violet & Harper???

"
March 20, 2019 –
57.0% "This is delicious!"
March 22, 2019 –
March 27, 2019 –
March 31, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Tucker (last edited Mar 08, 2019 07:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tucker Ha ha! I got my ARC to! Buddy read? (Maybe, finally this time it will work out 😂

megs_bookrack Tucker wrote: "Ha ha! I got my ARC to! Buddy read? (Maybe, finally this time it will work out 😂" I am starting it tomorrow! Could you start that soon?

Tucker megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "Ha ha! I got my ARC to! Buddy read? (Maybe, finally this time it will work out 😂" I am starting it tomorrow! Could you start that soon?"

Sure! Tomorrow it is!

megs_bookrack Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "Ha ha! I got my ARC to! Buddy read? (Maybe, finally this time it will work out 😂" I am starting it tomorrow! Could you start that soon?"

Sure! Tomorrow it is!"
Yayee! As per my usual MO, I will be reading multiple books though so may get through it at a slower pace than you. Forge on my friend, forge on! Don't let my snail pace hold you back! ;)

Tucker megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "Ha ha! I got my ARC to! Buddy read? (Maybe, finally this time it will work out 😂" I am starting it tomorrow! Could you start that soon?"

Sure! T..."

I will! But I'll try not to go too fast

message 6: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review megs!💖💋

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Excellent review megs!💖💋" Thanks so much, Kat!