Kelly's Reviews > Story Trumps Structure: How to Write Unforgettable Fiction by Breaking the Rules

Story Trumps Structure by Steven James

I'm going with 4 1/2 stars because it took me a long time to read this. The book requires a lot of mental work to get through it, and as always, there is plenty of information readers will already know. This is not to be avoided, however.

The fact is, there is also much information that is truly useful as well as some topics I've never heard discussed before (such as character status). This is something we sort of understand intuitively, but thinking about character status in a very direct way will be helpful to my future writing, I think.

Also, the discussion on cause and effect was quite eye-opening. It sounds like a no-brainer, but the author really breaks cause and effect down in a way I hadn't thought of it before.

Lots of good wisdom in this book, and it seems it will be easy to flip back through to different sections to refresh my memory as I'm working on a project. If you are trying to improve your craft, I would recommend adding this book to your arsenal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story Trumps Structure.

Started Reading