Taylor's Reviews > Tiger's Curse

Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck

Jan 04, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Taylor by: my Loved Librarian
Recommended for: Twilight fans, girls in general
Read in January, 2012

It was AMAZING! This is about the magnitude of Twilight for me. It had a great plot, with an Indian curse to add adventure and mystery. The romance thread throughout the book is also great. Its there, but developing at a better pace than most books I've read like this. Speaking of which, I don't think there are many books quite like this one. The concept is very Twilightish, but it has so much more to offer. There are subtle hints of what's really going on between the love birds, and then theres the bold parts that make it all wrap up quite nicely. Because I like romance and adventure and thriller (and some horror) this book has everything. Legit. All of it. I immediately went to Colleen Houck's website to see if she had a preview of the next book online which she thankfully did. read though that, and then walked straight over to Walmart to see if they had it in print. They did not, and I was very upset. Without another bookstore in view, I shall eagerly await to read the next copy, the third installment Tiger's Voyage, and maybe the rumor of another. I borrowed this from my Loved Librarian, but I will buy it myself to read whenever I want.

Kay, This book is amazing. I made a whole new shelf called “favorites” just to put this book in its own separate sanctioned place. The book starts out with Kelsey. She is the main character, and I somehow got it in my head to pronounce her KeSley whenever I read it. (Sorry for the misspellings in advance). So Kelsey is this normal looking highschooler who needs a summer job. I THINK NOT! She gets this job at the circus, which would be totally fun. It’s pretty hard at first, but then she starts having fun with all the cool animals they have. There is this really awesome white (view spoiler) tiger that’s there. Kelsey thinks that its über awesome, so she spends all her time with him. He seems really intelligent, especially after she calls him a girl and he growls. He kinda responds to everything she does…The circus sells the beautiful white tiger to a reservation in India. Then this dude, Mr. Kadam, shows up and he wants her to go to India with the tiger just to make sure its ok and all. Kesley has been spending a lot of time with Alagan Dihiren Rajaman and the tiger seems to be nice toward her. She’s been reading Shakespeare to him, so that might be why everything is peachy. (view spoiler) So then Kelsey goes with the Tiger to India, because they just have a connection ya know? So Kesley goes, and they get to India. Ren, which is much easier to say often than Dihiren, gets out of his cage, and Kesley has to chase him though the jungle in a foreign country! She finally catches up, when that stubborn tiger (that can run up to 40 miles per hour) lets her. Kelsey has nothing better to do now that she is lost, so she rests with Ren in the jungle after having a conveniently place water bottle in the backpack she happens to be carrying. Then, they keep walking with Ren leading the way, until they come upon a nice little cottage in the middle of a clearing. Kelsey starts to doubt Ren’s intentions, just about the time the biggest surprise of her life comes around. Kelsey’s relationship with Ren will turn into something more life endangering, as will her relationship with the others connect to him. Ren turns into the best friend she could ever have, Mr. Kadam turns into a wise grandfather figure, and some dude draws a tattoo on her hand that looks super cool. Oh, and Kelsey falls in love. But the dude’s brother wants her to. The best love triangle I have ever read. Including Edward-Bella-Jacob. Better than that, and I consider that pretty well written.
I would highly suggest this book to anyone who likes animals, girls who enjoyed twilight, girls who enjoy a little paranormal romance, girls who enjoy werewolves, and girls who enjoy romance. Its not really written for boys, but if you want to read it, be my guest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger's Curse.

Quotes Taylor Liked

Colleen Houck
“The fact is…I’m in love with you, and I have been for some time.”

Colleen Houck
“Why does everything so bad for you always taste so dreamy?”

Colleen Houck
“Perfect! Now we're being chased by hoards of monkeys! Perhaps you would care to name their species as we're attacked, just so I can appreciate the special traits of said monkey as it kills me!"
"At least when the monkeys are harassing you, you dont have any time to harass me!”

Colleen Houck
“As a man, I instantly became aware of the gold in her hair, her height measured against mine, and how easily she'd fit in my arms. ~Ren”

Colleen Houck
“He seemed very pleased with himself for surviving a near-death experience. I could practically hear him chanting to himself: I overcame. I conquered. I’m a man etc etc.”

Colleen Houck
“Now turn around and go to sleep. I'm warning you that I plan to sleep with you in my arms all night long.”

Colleen Houck
“She answered with a passion I didn’t expect & I was lost. In that moment our hearts beat as one. In that moment I knew she loved me." #Ren”

Colleen Houck
“Thrilled with the knowledge that she loved me, it took me a moment to realize that she was angry. I found her tantrum irresistible." #Ren”

Colleen Houck
“Falling for him would be like cliff diving. It would be either the most exhilarating thing that ever happened to me or the stupidest mistake I’d ever make. It would make my life worth living or it would crush me against stony rocks and break me utterly. Perhaps the wise thing to do would be to slow things down. Being friends would be so much easier.”