Mizuki's Reviews > Rebel

Rebel by Marie Lu

bookshelves: to-read

Pre-review:

Look what is happening here:

Author Marie Lu is continuing the story of her million-selling “Legend” series.

Lu has agreed to a multimillion dollar, three-book deal with Roaring Brook Press, the publisher announced Friday. The first book is set 10 years after her third “Legend” installment, “Champion,” which came out in 2013. Currently untitled and scheduled for Fall 2019, the upcoming novel will again feature such characters as young Eden Bataar Wing and take place in the dystopian Republic of America. Lu’s deal also includes a new series, the science fiction-fantasy “Skyhunter,” another story of young people fighting for their lives.

Well, I will be frank here, I can't think of any other reason but milking the cash cow for this series to be continued. And it is supposed to be a new series featuring Eden Wing, a character whom had never done much in the original series, a character whom I never care about. *yawns*

At least Marie Lu can laugh all the way to the bank, good for her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel.

October 12, 2018 – Shelved
October 12, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Jessie (new) - added it

Jessie Who is Eden even? I can't for my life remember this character even existed. XD

message 2: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki @Jessie:
Through out three books, Eden acts mostly as a hostage so we will be sympathized with his brother Day.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Stacy Wow. Just, wow.

message 4: by Wilde (new)

Wilde Oh yeah, beat that dead horse until it's flat as a crepe. I'm seeing a lot of authors doing this of late... Are they so out of ideas/originally they're just going back on their successful series?

message 5: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki Wilde wrote: "Oh yeah, beat that dead horse until it's flat as a crepe. I'm seeing a lot of authors doing this of late... Are they so out of ideas/originally they're just going back on their successful series?"

Beating the dead horse is particularly more obvious when authors are using minor characters from the original series to be the MC of the new series.

message 6: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki Melissa wrote: "Wow. Just, wow."

huhhh....the world of this Legend series has no rich world building whatsoever therefore there isn't much new things to be discovered and expanded.

message 7: by Alice (new)

Alice Mizuki wrote: "Wilde wrote: "Oh yeah, beat that dead horse until it's flat as a crepe. I'm seeing a lot of authors doing this of late... Are they so out of ideas/originally they're just going back on their succes..."

We're building a stable of zombie horses in YA-land aren't we.

message 8: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki Alice wrote: "We're building a stable of zombie horses in YA-land aren't we.."

building such a stable would take effort (no matter how small) on our part, better to wait till the hype dies down on its own.

message 9: by Wilde (new)

Wilde Mizuki wrote: "Wilde wrote: "Oh yeah, beat that dead horse until it's flat as a crepe. I'm seeing a lot of authors doing this of late... Are they so out of ideas/originally they're just going back on their succes..."

This is just sad. Aren't they're fans...I don't know tired of this shit? We're are living in an artistic loop.

message 10: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki Wilde wrote: "Mizuki wrote: "Wilde wrote: "Oh yeah, beat that dead horse until it's flat as a crepe. I'm seeing a lot of authors doing this of late... Are they so out of ideas/originally they're just going back ..."

I understand that stepping out of an already successful series and try something new is difficult, perhaps they are under pressure to continue writing their old series, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

message 11: by Wilde (new)

Wilde Mizuki wrote: "Wilde wrote: "Mizuki wrote: "Wilde wrote: "Oh yeah, beat that dead horse until it's flat as a crepe. I'm seeing a lot of authors doing this of late... Are they so out of ideas/originally they're ju..."

That may be the case also. All the blame can't just be on them. Publishers are also sneaky bastards, too. It's just like Hollywood. Everything is either a remake, sequel, prequal, revamped, I could go on for ever about stuff no one asked for or won't do any of the originals justice. Can this shitty era be over now?

message 12: by Vicenta (new)

Vicenta I really don't know what to feel about this news. Lol I can't remember if there's anything to be discovered more about the series?

message 13: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki Vicenta wrote: "I really don't know what to feel about this news. Lol I can't remember if there's anything to be discovered more about the series?"

My answer is none. The world building in the first three books is vague and choppy to begin with.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

TITLE AND BLURB

Eden Wing is a brilliant student. He’s about to graduate a year early from Ross University of the Sciences, with honors, and already has an internship lined up back in the Republic. But most people don’t introduce Eden this way. Instead, they say, “This is Eden, Daniel Wing’s younger brother.”

Ten years ago, Eden’s brother Daniel was known as Day, the boy from the streets who led a revolution that saved the Republic of America. His name was spray-painted on walls, his profile splashed on both rebel pamphlets and wanted posters. He went from being a hunted criminal to a national hero in less than a year.

Day has spent the past decade piecing together his memory of his time in the Republic, pretending to enjoy life in Antarctica’s capital, Ross City , and quietly hiding out from the world—even if it’s meant giving up June, the great love of his life. As long as he can keep his little brother safe, that’s all that matters . . .

But Eden isn’t safe. As the two brothers struggle to accept who they’ve each become, they grow more distant from one another than they've ever been. Eden finds himself drawn deeper and deeper into Ross City’s dark side, until even his legendary brother can’t save him. At least not on his own.

When June suddenly steps back into Day’s life, rekindling the flames of their romance, the pair team up to do whatever it takes to rescue Eden. But like the rest of the world, they may have underestimated Eden—what he’s capable of, where his loyalties lie, and how hard he’s willing to fight for what he believes.

With unmatched suspense and her signature cinematic storytelling, #1 New York Times bestselling author Marie Lu plunges readers back into the unforgettable world of Legend—for the most thrilling adventure yet. A truly grand finale.

message 15: by Devi (new) - added it

Devi I sense Cassandra Clare vibes from Marie Lu.

message 16: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki Bunny wrote: "I sense Cassandra Clare vibes from Marie Lu."

message 17: by Devi (new) - added it

Devi Mizuki wrote: "Bunny wrote: "I sense Cassandra Clare vibes from Marie Lu."

Perhaps she isn't as bad as Cassandra Clare, but her writing and stories really left much to be desired."

But-but she was-was fourteen when she wrote the first book of Legend!

message 18: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki Bunny wrote: "Mizuki wrote: "Bunny wrote: "I sense Cassandra Clare vibes from Marie Lu."

But-but she was..."

I guess that's the reason why Legend reads like a badly written fanfic by an untrained teenager.

message 19: by Wilde (new)

Wilde I see this is a trend with all the past "popular" authors. Either they are continuing their most popular books/series or building a universe of some sort from them. They all seem like money-cash grabs to me.

They're audience has grown, and are mostly over their shit by now.

message 20: by Devi (new) - added it

Devi Wilde wrote: "I see this is a trend with all the past "popular" authors. Either they are continuing their most popular books/series or building a universe of some sort from them. They all seem like money-cash gr..."

Exactly. Reminds me of all those shows in the 90s getting rebooted for the new generation.

message 21: by Devi (new) - added it

Devi Mizuki wrote: "Bunny wrote: "Mizuki wrote: "Bunny wrote: "I sense Cassandra Clare vibes from Marie Lu."

B..."

I was ready to call it a Hunger Games clone until I read the Acknowledgements page.

message 22: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki Wilde wrote: "their most popular books/series or building a universe of some sort from them. They all seem like money-cash grabs to me. .."

some popular authors actually created good things by writing in the same universe, but in those cases, said universe needs to be interesting and richly constructed enough for repeated use like this.

message 23: by Wilde (new)

Wilde Bunny wrote: "Wilde wrote: "I see this is a trend with all the past "popular" authors. Either they are continuing their most popular books/series or building a universe of some sort from them. They all seem like..."

Exactly. Why reboot stuff that happened in the past? Those stories/TV shows/movies were good for THAT time. Just because something worked once for an era does not mean it will for the next one.

Gosh I hate this non-creative generation so much.

message 24: by Devi (last edited May 11, 2019 06:54PM) (new) - added it

Devi Wilde wrote: "Bunny wrote: "Wilde wrote: "I see this is a trend with all the past "popular" authors. Either they are continuing their most popular books/series or building a universe of some sort from them. They..."

Have you heard of 'The Ren & Stimpy Show'? For example, that show was pretty damn good for sneaking past the censors at Nickelodeon in '91. If they rebooted that now, they would have to water everything down.

message 25: by Wilde (new)

Wilde Bunny wrote: "Wilde wrote: "Bunny wrote: "Wilde wrote: "I see this is a trend with all the past "popular" authors. Either they are continuing their most popular books/series or building a universe of some sort f..."

All those kids shows in the 90s had all of them in there. They had talent in making it as subtle as possible.