Karis's Reviews > Paws, Claws, and Magic Tales

Paws, Claws, and Magic Tales by H.L. Burke

bookshelves: 2018-releases, fairytale, short-stories, e-book, animal

Paw, Claws, and Magic Tales is the fifth anthology by the Fellowship of Fantasy, a group of fantasy writers with a heart for clean and professional fantasy writing. This is my first time reading one of their anthologies, so while I was already familiar with some of the authors who contributed to it, many of them, with their writing styles were new to me.

I read the sixteen stories over a few evenings and loved how each author took the same theme of cats and applied it so differently. Some of the authors created an entirely new world with some great worldbuilding like J. L. Rowan in one of my personal favorites of the collection “The Secret Treasons of the World.” (I was excited then to realize the author has other short stories and entire novels set in the same world!) Other authors wrote on a more contemporary tone with stories like “Whiskers Width” by H. L. Burke and had a fun, lighthearted feel. Some took on the challenge of myth or fairytale re-tellings; while others, focused on a teaching a moral lesson, like “The Honorable Retrieval of Miss Sunbeam Honeydew,” a tale of two young guards caught in the middle of a royal quarrel over a cat.

I’ll definitely be reading more anthologies by these authors, and overall I’d give a 3.5 average rating over the stories.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paws, Claws, and Magic Tales.

October 12, 2018 – Started Reading
October 12, 2018 – Shelved
October 13, 2018 –
21.0% "Two stories in, and hmmm both really creative! Several of the authors are new to me, so I'm looking forward to getting to their stories. :)"
October 13, 2018 –
42.0% "Some great worldbuilding for such a short work in "The Secret Treasons of the World" by J. L. Rowan! Love it!"
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-releases
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: fairytale
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: short-stories
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: e-book
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: animal
October 14, 2018 –
52.0% ""The prince managed to rub the cat's back and chest, even while he was holding him, a skill he had learned long ago, and the cat, who might have said many things, including "I told you so," decided to purr instead.

Then, suddenly, the cat stiffened, and the prince almost dropped him. "Wait," the at said, "I did it wrong. I wished it wrong. Of course , it wasn't for me to be a human, but you could have been a cat...""
October 15, 2018 –
76.0% "I think my favorite story tonight was "The Honorable Retrieval of Miss Sunbeam Honeydew." Great themes of forgiveness and honor. : )"
October 16, 2018 – Finished Reading