Anna's Reviews > The Spotted Dog

The Spotted Dog by Kerry Greenwood

liked it

It's been a while since the last book in the Corinna Chapman series, and I'm glad she's back. Much as I love Phryne Fisher, sometimes she seems too perfect - too beautiful, slender and fashionably dressed. Corinna is a size 20 and dresses for comfort and practicality, but in other ways reminds me of Phryne - she is tremendously competent at what she does, is comfortable in her own skin and doesn't care whether others think she's making the right choices in her life and career. Like Phryne, she also has a diverse cast of hangers-on. She is a thoroughly likeable character.

I enjoyed The Spotted Dog, but didn't love everything about it. The story, while enjoyable and entertainingly written, was particularly implausible, especially the parts relating to religious relics and writings. Some parts of the plot felt too hastily resolved in the rush to the happy ending. I also could have done without the fairly unsubtle critique of Centrelink activities, which didn't advance the plot and I think will quickly lose relevance.

Overall, however, I enjoyed this book. I particularly liked seeing the continuing development of characters like Jason, and the introduction of new ones like Kate and Marie, who I hope we'll see again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spotted Dog.

October 12, 2018 – Started Reading
October 12, 2018 – Shelved
October 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Sherry Mackay Yes i agree with all your points! Lots of holes in the plot and rushed at the end.