Jen's Reviews > Winter in Paradise

Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand

it was ok
bookshelves: beach, contemporary

I was pretty disappointed in this, which surprised me- I'm usually a big fan. There were a lot of the things that we've come to expect- beautiful houses/people, obviously favourite restaurants, the love of family.

For a first I found a few of her main characters more than unlikeable- the sons were a right pair of miserable twits. Childish, selfish, not very interesting, and often mean- they acted like 12 year olds (much worse than the actual 12 year old in the book). Irene was pretty bland and interchangeable with many of her female characters, but at least she wasn't actively offensive.

But I was so disappointed in how St. John was treated. The only main character of colour happens to be the willing mistress of the rich white guy? How do you write an entire book about an island that doesn't even give passing glances to its culture/history/locals? Even though the books are almost always geared towards "summer people", it was so disappointing to see so little of the island and its (non-white) inhabitants. It was pretty much just Nantucket with snorkeling. I know that when you find a working format it's a good idea to stick with it, but especially since I've seen her talking about her love for the island I was expecting quite a different book, and was disappointed in the end result. I'm hoping that the next book in the series deals much more with the actual island and its people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter in Paradise.

October 11, 2018 – Started Reading
October 12, 2018 – Shelved
October 12, 2018 – Shelved as: beach
October 12, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
October 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Gina Smith I definitely agree with you. I had the same exact issues with this book. And not only because I'm a woman of color i was utterly confused as to where the black people were.