Linda's Reviews > The Sentence is Death

The Sentence is Death by Anthony Horowitz

bookshelves: 5-star-winners, mystery-thrillers, net-galley, police-procedural

Keep in mind: One lie can ruin a thousand truths.

Anthony Horowitz opens the heavy wrought iron gates on another stellar mystery that feels circa 1930. Anthony becomes a key figure in his own novel as he takes on the role of himself. Horowitz, you see, is the famed writer of Foyle's War, an on-going successful television saga in the UK. He's in the middle of filming a crucial scene on the streets of London when a cab pulls up and spoils the shot.

Anthony recognizes the man who has just exited the cab and is running towards him. Let's introduce you to former Detective Inspector Daniel Hawthorne. Hawthorne is now a "for hire" crime expert who works on random cases. He has convinced Anthony to write his biography. That entails riding shotgun with Hawthorne as he attempts to solve a case. Anthony signed on the dotted line with the buzz of crime/murder intrigue dancing staccato in his heart. Later, his common sense caught up with this pending madness.

The body of an affluent divorce lawyer has been found in the posh section of Hampstead Heath. A teetotaler by choice, Richard Pryce is found to have been blungeoned with an expensive bottle of wine at the back of his once stately head. The number "182" has been dripping green paint on a wall alongside the staircase. There's no sign of forced entry.

Hawthorne and Anthony peruse the crime scene. Hawthorne, typically, is short on words and long on rudeness. DI Cara Grunshaw of the Metro Police is none too happy to see this duo at the scene. Grunshaw will be dogging them throughout the novel.....because she can.

The flavor of this one (including The Word Is Murder) has an Agatha Christie vibe to it. Horowitz has an amazing mind for detail. It's all brain power happenin' here. Hawthorne never divulges his thoughts, but Anthony lays out his process of deduction as he stacks the foundation of his case for who's guilty and who's not. We're awed by his reflections as the voice running right alongside of us. As readers, we're involved fully now. Is Anthony right? Maybe not so fast.....

The Sentence Is Death is a delightful read filled with the good, the bad, and the indifferent. Horowitz has a way with dialogue that is laugh-out-loud in some skillful scenarios. We'll also be finding out that Hawthorne is shedding a bit of his intricate layers of self-preservation. Something is brewing with this talented crime expert who is tight lipped and laced up like a kettle drum. We'll just have to see what Anthony Horowitz has in mind with the next one, shall we now?

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley for an honest review. My thanks to Harper Collins and to Anthony Horowitz for the opportunity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sentence is Death.

October 12, 2018 – Shelved
October 12, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 28, 2019 – Started Reading
April 1, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-star-winners
April 1, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery-thrillers
April 1, 2019 – Shelved as: net-galley
April 1, 2019 – Shelved as: police-procedural
April 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Linda Thanks, Reynita, Marialyce, Rebecca, and Annet. Another excellent one from the talented Anthony Horowitz. :)

message 2: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Linda!!

Linda Thanks, Deanna. You can always count on Anthony Horowitz for a smart, smart read. 👍📚😉

message 4: by Pat (new)

Pat Stellar review Linda. I'm real glad you enjoyed this because I am yet to read it but already loving Horowitz's work.

Linda Thanks, Pat. Another remarkable read from Anthony Horowitz. It reads as a standalone, but builds upon The Word Is Murder. You'll really enjoy it. 🤗⭐️

message 6: by JanB (new) - added it

JanB Wonderful review Linda. I just finished it and loved it as well. Such a clever old-fashioned mystery, which was refreshing.

message 7: by Linda (new) - rated it 5 stars

Linda Thanks, Jan. I agree. Love Horowitz's style. Too much high tech and not enough crafty brain power in mysteries as of late. Can't wait for his next one. I'm a solid fan now. 🤓👏⭐️