Ivana - Diary of Difference's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

28198445
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 City of Bones - ★★★★★

I have already read this book back in 2014. This time, I decided to go with the whole series, as I stopped reading them for some reason.

City of Bones is the first book from The Mortal Instrument Series by Cassandra Clare. This is a book that is really distinctive for the fact that it takes you to a whole new world instantly, and you immediately feel comfortable with it.

The story starts when Clary and her friend Simon are in a night club, and a boy is being attacked. When Clary calls out for help, it seems that only she can see the attackers. And immediately, within a few pages, we are introduced to a paranormal world that is not visible to mundanes, and we discover all sorts of creatures: angels, demons, fae, vampires, werewolves…

And when Clary discovers that her mother, who used to be a part of a society, and kept it all hidden from her goes missing - she is determined to find her, save her, and find out about her past.

I liked the fact that we have a world so wonderfully constructed, and so thoughtfully created, that drags you in immediately. I usually am the person that struggles with new worlds and incredible amounts of creatures, but this was a great exception.

The characters were well-developed, and I was impressed by how the author managed to present some of today’s taboo topics in this novel. I find it really courageous. I straight-out don’t like Simon. Like, at all… He is a wonderful friend, and Clary means a lot to him, but he was just so dull the whole book.

I liked Clary, and I loved how she slowly discovered everything, but I wasn’t really that involved with her.

On the other side, I loved Jace. He is such a hottie. Sarcastic little cutsie thing! I also adored his honesty. It is something that not everyone has these days…

‘’He’s not a liar at all. Not about important things. He’ll tell you horrible truths, but he won’t lie.’’ She paused before she added quietly, ‘’That’s why it’s certainly better not to ask him anything unless you know you can stand to hear the answer.’’

I liked Luke’s story, and he had an amazing cliff-hanger around the end of the book. But Magnus is one of the people I wanted to see more of, and I wish there two places were swapped.

Isabelle and Alec - I really loved them. We didn’t get to see too much of them, but they were both really important in some of the crucial moments in this book.

All in all, I really loved the story. And I am a bit sad that the couple I was shipping for can’t be together, but it is what it is. I'm going to put a Lannister reference here, and if you have read the book, you will understand: ‘’Oh, the things we do for love.’’

‘’To love is to destroy, and to be loved is to be the one destroyed.’’

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

July 8, 2014 –
page 90
18.56% "I can somehow feel that this book is going to be awesome." (Other Paperback Edition)
October 12, 2018 – Started Reading
October 12, 2018 – Shelved
October 13, 2018 –
page 167
37.78% "I am loving this book, again and again.

I don't like Simon, or is that just me? He is such an unlikable character :)

I do like Jace though, he's a hottie :D"
October 16, 2018 –
page 384
86.88% "I always love this part, when Luke tells Clary his side of the story!"
October 18, 2018 –
page 442
100.0% "Finished - review coming soon :)"
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy-vampire-fairies
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: favourites
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: owned
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 22, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Terrie's (new)

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Great review! I started this a long time ago and stopped but don't remember why...it was a library book ...Maybe it was due LOL

Ivana - Diary of Difference Terrie's wrote: "Great review! I started this a long time ago and stopped but don't remember why...it was a library book ...Maybe it was due LOL"

Hahaha - you should definitely give it a go again, Terrie! It is worth it!

Veronica ⭐️ My daughter loved this series. I need to find some time to give it a go myself.

Ivana - Diary of Difference Veronica ⭐️ wrote: "My daughter loved this series. I need to find some time to give it a go myself."

Yay! Let me know when you do!

message 5: by Robin Loves (new)

Robin Loves Reading This is excellent. Oh, love your reading progress status.

Ivana - Diary of Difference Robin wrote: "This is excellent. Oh, love your reading progress status."

Thank you Robin! x

Zainab I fell head over heels for this book! Couldnt get over it for some months... Ask my friends how i much a swooned on its mere mention😂😂😂

Ivana - Diary of Difference Zainab wrote: "I fell head over heels for this book! Couldnt get over it for some months... Ask my friends how i much a swooned on its mere mention😂😂😂"

Hahhaha That is so me right now! I keep talking about it all the time :)

message 9: by Zainab (last edited Oct 23, 2018 07:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zainab Hahahaha. Well ur not getting over it anytime soon. I guarantee you that much😂😂

Enjoy the series!

Ivana - Diary of Difference Zainab wrote: "Hahahaha. Well ur not getting over it anytime soon. I guarantee you that much😂😂

Enjoy the series!"

Thank you! I hope you're enjoying your read as well!

Isabelle ooooh I loved this series in middle/high school! personally I think The Infernal Devices is a little better, but I might need to reread TMI because they were definitely An Experience

Ivana - Diary of Difference Isabelle wrote: "ooooh I loved this series in middle/high school! personally I think The Infernal Devices is a little better, but I might need to reread TMI because they were definitely An Experience"

<3 <3