Sean Higgins's Reviews > Head Covering: A Forgotten Christian Practice for Modern Times

Head Covering by Jeremy Gardiner

bookshelves: kindle, women

I'm preaching through 1 Corinthians 11 and saw a positive review of this book on FB. The author's conclusion is obvious from the title of the book, and the fact that he started the Head Covering Movement is also a give-away.

Surprising to me, I really enjoyed the book. I appreciated the exegesis he presented, the tone he took, and the resources he cited. He made a very compelling case, and, if I were to change my position, it would be in his direction. I could see his point from the passage about it being right for women in every age and culture to wear a cloth covering on their heads when involved in praying and prophesying.

If you are interested, I highly recommend the book, especially to read a current, Bible-based, passionate but not the wrong sort of pushy take on why head coverings are right. You may read it and be convinced.

All that said, I still think there is a difference between the principle (which does not depend on any particular culture and obligates the conscience) and the symbol (which may take a variety of forms depending on the culture), a difference I am working to explain in my preaching. The author addresses this as a possible interpretation, but he did not convince me about the necessity of the particular symbol (cloth head covering).

Though I disagree on the bottom line, it is still a 5 of 5 stars book on the subject.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Head Covering.

October 11, 2018 – Started Reading
October 11, 2018 – Shelved
October 13, 2018 – Shelved as: kindle
October 13, 2018 – Shelved as: women
October 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Eva (new)

Eva Yap-Todos Thank you pastor Sean for your feedback on the head covering issue.

About a couple of months ago I started being more and more convinced that I need to cover my head when I pray at home, so I started wearing a head cover at church too acc to 1 Cor 11 passage.

Even though this passage is controversial and one could find arguments for whichever way they choose (whether a wife should cover her head or not she prays) I feel I need to cover my head when I pray and at church.