Robert Owens's Reviews > Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

bookshelves: nonfiction, biography, autobiography, culinary, audiobook, overdrive

This summer I had a subscription to Audible. I selected this as one of my freebie books and then promptly returned it as I wasn't in the mood to listen to it at that time. I then saw it on Overdrive, so I figured I would be able to listen to it some time in the future. That was now!

I liked Bourdain. I watched a few episodes of Cook's Tour, as I was still watching Food TV at that time. I watched many episodes of No Reservations. Really liked it. Even caught a couple of his CNN show before he passed.

Bourdain is a storyteller. This audiobook highlights that well. Much like the audiobooks I have listened to previously, it started off a bit stiff. You could tell he was reading it. Sure, he is. But this is his story and the richness of the story was lost in the reading of the words. That gave way eventually, probably when the sex and cursing took over, and things were far more pleasurable.

While I never bopped around the New York circuit, I related to a lot of what Bourdain spoke about. I did my time in the business. As he described the inner workers of the kitchen, I was taken back 30 years. Fondly on many fronts, but the stories also reminded me why I left the business. I did not have what it took to make it; I am too thin-skinned, too outspoken to have been successful.

Bourdain's tale was interesting and vibrant. He shared the behind-the-scenes details that diners don't usually know. He told his story, and the restaurant story, without tearing others down. That is a credit to his dignity. I can't do it without taking the shots.

Loved the story of the job interview that he blew because he thought the owner asked, "What do you know about me?" when in fact he had asked, "What do you know about meat." The response of, "Not much," didn't land him the job. :)

Fun stories, strong New York, and lots of the underside of life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen Confidential.

October 9, 2018 – Started Reading