Natalie ⭐'s Reviews > Dealing in Dreams

Dealing in Dreams by Lilliam Rivera

61937379

bookshelves: anticipated-2019, arcs, favorites, fnwreadchallenge-2019

[insert that one Lady Gaga GIF where she’s listing adjectives for “amazing”]

Full review in a few hours because it’s 1:22 AM and I need to sleep for school.

UPDATE: Okay, so it’s been more than a few hours, but here we are!

As soon as I’d first heard about this book I was extremely excited. It’s about Puerto Rican girl gangs in a dystopian future! I could already see the aesthetic boards making themselves!!

And then when I actually read this book... Let me tell you, it definitely lived up to all of my hopes. The imagery was so strong and lush, it felt like I was watching a movie. And Nalah’s voice as a narrator was just so perfect.

Speaking of which... THE DIALOGUE. I was in HEAVEN. I loved that there were constantly Spanish phrases being peppered in, and I loved that all of the characters were so distinct. It felt like I could hear them in my head, I was so completely transported to the world of this amazing book.

This book has such strong messages on families, especially found families, and on how people form their own identities. I loved the way that all of the characters developed—both in relation to one another and on their own.

Overall, this book was pretty much everything that I’d hoped for. I think the only thing that I’m missing is a book 2, although I’m pretty sure it’s a standalone. Sure, the ending ties up pretty neatly, but I really enjoyed these characters and would love to read more about them and more about this world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dealing in Dreams.

October 10, 2018 – Shelved
October 10, 2018 – Shelved as: anticipated-2019
October 10, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 4, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs
March 4, 2019 – Started Reading
March 5, 2019 – Finished Reading
March 12, 2019 – Shelved as: favorites
April 1, 2019 – Shelved as: fnwreadchallenge-2019

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Natalie ⭐ I need this book in my hands RIGHT NOW PLEASE. Futuristic Latina girl gangs??? YES??????