James's Reviews > Missing: The Lady Said No

Missing by Jacquie Biggar

bookshelves: 1-fiction, 8-authors-i-know, 9-read-2018-10-october

I stumbled across author Jacquie Biggar via her WordPress blog and/or Twitter account and learned she had published a lot of books. I perused the list and chose this one based on my normal reading preferences leaning toward mystery and historical fiction. In this novel, part of a series or collection of books, we focus on foul play leading up to a 1950s Kentucky Derby event. I get to combine two of my favorite genres -- how fun!

August Grant (Gus) is the detective who's called to a plantation home when the owner is found dead. It appears as if the man shot himself, and his wife is beside herself. She's also in the arms of the local sheriff. The two policemen face off over whether it was murder or suicide. Gus soon meets a staff member at the plantation and has an intimate connection to her in the past. He also learns a secret about the end of their relationship that could change the future. As he pokes around, something's also amiss with the upcoming horse race and everyone is more jumpy or angry than ever. Gus keeps pushing until he learns all the information he needs to find the killer and fix a wrong in his own past.

The story is on the shorter side but makes for a great introduction to the author's writing style and perhaps the series if you enjoy the characters. Biggar is descriptive but also very focused on the plot, which is always important to me. I enjoyed the layers of this one as it kept growing more and more complex as the pages flipped by. It's an easy read, less than 2 hours if you're focused, given how she draws you into the plight of a few characters and the actual mystery. Although it takes place in the 1950s, there isn't a lot of detail about the time frame which can be both helpful and not helpful. If you're looking for a deep southern connection from the past, it's on the lighter side, but it also makes for a good foray into the exploration of life at that time. The details that tell you the time frame are hidden in the decor, word choice, and character actions. No computers, no cell phones, no automated way to track a killer. Just good old fashioned common sense and questioning. I like it!

I look forward to reading more from the author's vast publications... perhaps pushing my boundaries on some genres and reading in a new one. Kudos to the author for creating a wonderful book with lots of potential to tempt and tease readers on all she's capable of.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Missing.

October 10, 2018 – Shelved