Melissa's Reviews > Roomies

Roomies by Christina Lauren

bookshelves: 2018, romance

A love-drunk heart, from what is sure to be an infamous guide on how not to date—told by Christina Lauren's quirkiest literary couple yet (ahem, Josh and Hazel)—spurred my instantaneous reach for Roomies. Eager to stoke those gushy, giggly, infatuated-girl feelings.

I think it’s important to acknowledge—no two meet cutes are ever the same—each relationship has its own distinct opening and underlying beat, much like a piece of music. For some couples, it begins in college with a proposition and a ruined pair of shoes, taking ten years for their notes to harmonize. For others, the intro is slow to build momentum and heard from a distance—a heart captured by the passion driving another.

For Holland and Calvin’s start, it’s the latter. A chance listening session—Calvin playing his guitar in the subway tunnel—leads to months of unnecessary train rides for Holland and a crush teeny tiny obsession. Holland’s first obstacle, finding a way to initiate a conversation. How else is she going to find out his actual name or the color of those Irish eyes?

A little liquid courage and an expired student visa, coupled with Holland nudging her uncle to fill the opening in his Broadway musical with Calvin’s guitar work, leads to a proposition: a vow exchange. Say what? Sure, Calvin is easy on the eyes and extremely talented—did I mention the Irish accent?—but volunteering to marry a complete stranger . . . gutsy. The newlyweds, cohabiting as roomies for appearance sake, are both getting something out of the impulsive nuptials, right?

The way Holland sees things, this is her chance to pay her uncles back for all the support they’ve given her as she bides time, waiting for that spark of inspiration to bite; for her dream of writing a novel to be realized. If only she could find the moxie to start putting words on paper. My truth: I saw a glimpse of myself in Holland. Wanting so bad to write, but instead floating through life waiting for that perfect idea to sneak up and tap me on the shoulder. Guess I should follow the same advice I wanted to give Holls—wake up and go for it!

Not telling both sides of the story—his and her views in rivaling chapters—is quite the departure for Christina Lauren. While it’s easy to see Calvin catches feelings for Holland, that she’s not floating alone in her desire for more, it’s not clear why. What is it about her that draws him in—is it more than just love blossoming from gratitude? Both the storyline and the reader would have benefitted immensely from getting a look in that musically gifted head of his. Unsure of the emotions driving Calvin’s actions, I found myself in the same boat as Holland, left to wallow in a sea of uncertainties. Despite everything, I can’t say Calvin ever gave me a reason to doubt his character or his motives. Great guy—check.

“Come home and kick me in the teeth if you need to, but then kiss me.”

The serendipitous nature of Holland and Calvin’s relationship kept me turning those pages—would the roomies settle in to their actual titles: husband and wife? Theirs is a love story riddled with flirty banter and underscored by a massively important message: don’t let fear or doubt hold you back from chasing your heart’s desires, feed that passion and let it thrive.

I know how those notes sound when they’re coming from across the room, from across the bed. I know how they sound hummed contentedly into my ear with the warm curl of his body all along my back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roomies.

October 10, 2018 – Started Reading
October 10, 2018 – Shelved
October 10, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
October 10, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
October 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS Such a lovely, thoughtful review, Melissa ;) Glad to see you enjoyed!! I really need to be reading this author. xoxo

message 2: by Sheyla ✎ (new)

Sheyla ✎ Great review, Melissa. I completely forgot about this one!

Kaceey Fabulous review Melissa! Glad you enjoyed!🤗

Norma * Traveling Sister Fabulous review, Melissa! I’m so happy to see that you enjoyed this one!

message 5: by BookLover (new)

BookLover Great review Melissa!!

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Love the message in this one and your review!!

message 7: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Fabulous review, Melissa! Glad you enjoyed!!

Melissa Sheyla ✎ wrote: "Great review, Melissa. I completely forgot about this one!"
I'm SO happy I have some others to catch up on . . . I can't get enough of their storylines right now. 🤣💜

KAS wrote: "Such a lovely, thoughtful review, Melissa ;) Glad to see you enjoyed!! I really need to be reading this author. xoxo"
WHAT?! You haven't read a book from the dynamic duo yet?! What are you waiting for?! 🤣 Seriously though, make time. 💜

Melissa Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Fabulous review, Melissa! I’m so happy to see that you enjoyed this one!"
Yes! I’m on a Christina Lauren kick right now. 😉😂💜

Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fabulous review Melissa! Glad you enjoyed!🤗"
Thanks, Kaceey! Had to keep the fun going. 😂💜

message 10: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Brilliant review Melissa 🌸

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie Terrific review, Melissa! Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like my kind of book. ❤

message 12: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Wonderful review, Melissa! xoxo

message 13: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Great review, Melissa!

Melissa Holly wrote: "Love the message in this one and your review!!"
Isn't the message great?! That coupled with a fun storyline made this hard to put down.

BookLover wrote: "Great review Melissa!!"
Thank you!!!!

Sarah Eastridge This book was like food for the soul. I loved every page!! :)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Fab review, Melissa! I have got to try a book by these two- wow!

Melissa Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Melissa! Glad you enjoyed!!"

Thank you, Meredith! 😬💜

message 18: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Love your review, Melissa, you've definitely made a strong case, love your enthusiasm for this one!

message 19: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Intriguing review, Melissa!

message 20: by JanB (new)

JanB Really beautiful review Melissa! Romance isn’t always the genre I turn to but this sounds very good!

message 21: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Brodehl Great review Melissa and I can’t wait to read this!! I just finished Christina Lauren’s book Love and Other Words and LOOOVED it!! Now I want to read all of their books. 😍

Melissa Julie wrote: "Terrific review, Melissa! Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like my kind of book. ❤"
This is a good one, Julie! Although, you really can't go wrong with any of CL's books. 😉 💙

Maureen wrote: "Brilliant review Melissa 🌸"
Thanks, Maureen! 💙

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda Melissa, this book really spoke to you! I could hear how you felt it’s inspiration in the character of Holland. We never know where we might hear that voice. So glad you found a message for you among its pages.

♥Rachel♥ Great review, Melissa! Glad to hear you enjoyed this. Totally agree about having Calvin's POV. I think it would've improved the story for me. :)

message 25: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne Davis Excellent review Melissa! I love Christina Lauren

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Terrific review, Melissa!

Melissa Cheri wrote: "Love your review, Melissa, you've definitely made a strong case, love your enthusiasm for this one!"
Thanks, Cheri!! I’m on a bit of winning streak with this writing duo! 🙌🏻😬❤️

Maureen wrote: "Great review, Melissa!"
Thanks, Maureen! 😬💜

Nazanin wrote: "Wonderful review, Melissa! xoxo"
Thanks, Nazanin! ❤️

message 28: by Marialyce (new)

Marialyce Love your last line, Melissa! Sounds like a terrific book.

Brenda - Traveling Sister Great review, Melissa!

Melissa Jen wrote: "Great review Melissa and I can’t wait to read this!! I just finished Christina Lauren’s book Love and Other Words and LOOOVED it!! Now I want to read all of their books. 😍"
Thanks, Jen! LAOW is going to be my next CL! 😬💜

JanB wrote: "Really beautiful review Melissa! Romance isn’t always the genre I turn to but this sounds very good!"
Thank you, Jan! 😘 I’ve been on a romance kick lately—I can’t get enough of this writing duo. 😬💜

Paula wrote: "Intriguing review, Melissa!"
Thanks, Paula! 💜

message 31: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Gorgeous review, Melissa 💖

message 32: by Melissa (last edited Oct 13, 2018 06:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa Linda wrote: "Melissa, this book really spoke to you! I could hear how you felt it’s inspiration in the character of Holland. We never know where we might hear that voice. So glad you found a message for you amo..."
Thanks, Linda! Yeah, it's always nice walking away from a book with a life lesson as a token of completion . . . even more so when you only expect a fun and light read. 💜

Lynne wrote: "Excellent review Melissa! I love Christina Lauren"
You and me both! I read the entire Beautiful Bastard series a few years ago, but sort of missed out on their recent releases. Glad I have a few to binge on now though. I can't seem to get enough. 😬💜

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Terrific review, Melissa!"
Thank you, Mary Beth!! 💜

message 33: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Fantastic review lady! Wow.. haha you sure are on kick with these authors lol. I am looking forward to reading my first by them soon.

message 34: by ❤️ Paulette (new)

❤️ Paulette "📖A great review L💕ve 💙💋

Melissa Marialyce wrote: "Love your last line, Melissa! Sounds like a terrific book."
Thanks, Marialyce! I went in expecting a fun read; the memorable message was just an added bonus. 😬💜

Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review, Melissa!"
Thanks, Brenda! 😬

Felicia wrote: "Gorgeous review, Melissa 💖"
Thank you, Felicia! 💙

message 36: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Beautiful review Melissa!!💕

Melissa Nicola wrote: "Beautiful review Melissa!!💕"
Thank you, Nicola! 💜

message 38: by Candace (new)

Candace Terrific review, Melissa! I liked the questioning of Calvin's motives.

message 39: by Selena (new) - added it

Selena Wonderful review Melissa!

message 40: by Melissa (last edited Oct 14, 2018 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa Kendall wrote: "Fantastic review lady! Wow.. haha you sure are on kick with these authors lol. I am looking forward to reading my first by them soon."
Hahahaha . . . I can’t help it; soooo good! 😂💜 Looking forward to hearing what you think of My Favorite Half-Night Stand. 😬

❤️ Paulette wrote: ""📖A great review L💕ve 💙💋"
Thanks, Paulette! 😘

message 41: by ❤️ Paulette (new)

❤️ Paulette ❤🎧 Always pleasure L💕ve 💙💋

message 42: by Jen (new)

Jen Marvellous review, Melissa!

♥Sharon♥ Great review Melissa. Glad you enjoyed it! xx

message 44: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Sounds as if this author writes enchanting storylines, nice review!

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books I am beyond excited to try this author! I've been following your reviews and she (actually it's a writing duo so I should say they) seems very talented! Excellent review!

Melissa Mackenzie - Traveling Sister wrote: "I am beyond excited to try this author! I've been following your reviews and she (actually it's a writing duo so I should say they) seems very talented! Excellent review!"
Yes! A very talented writing duo. I can’t wait to hear what you think, Kenzie. Any ideas which one you’re starting with? 😏💜

Victoria wrote: "Sounds as if this author writes enchanting storylines, nice review!"
Yes! Enchanting is the perfect way to describe the storylines this writing duo comes up with. ☺️💜

♥Sharon♥ wrote: "Great review Melissa. Glad you enjoyed it! xx"
Thank you, Sharon! 😬💜

Jen wrote: "Marvellous review, Melissa!"
Thanks, Jen! 💜

Kristy Great review, Melissa! I haven't read any of these books yet, but I'm looking forward to picking some of them up!

Melissa Kristy wrote: "Great review, Melissa! I haven't read any of these books yet, but I'm looking forward to picking some of them up!"
Get on it, girl! Seriously, these books are perfect to cleanse the palate between darker reads. They're SO much fun. ☺️💜

message 49: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Kline Great review! I can't wait to read this... Love Christina Lauren!

message 50: by Tina (new)

Tina Great review Melissa :)

« previous 1