Shelly's Reviews > 1,000 Books to Read Before You Die: A Life-Changing List

1,000 Books to Read Before You Die by James Mustich

bookshelves: books-and-writing, first-reads-netgalley, film, entertainment

Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review James Mustich's 1,000 Books to Read Before You Die. There are, I am aware, myriad books out there that aim to create the quintessential reading list. I think that this one, which was released on October 2, does an excellent job of formulating a list that contains, along with works so classic that any list is incomplete without them, something for everyone - History, Sports, Memoir, Biography, Science, Philosophy, and every genre of Fiction. I particularly loved the inclusion of Children's Literature from picture books to young adult classics.
The author's descriptions were accessible, short, and just tantalizing enough to make me want to pick up each book I read about and start reading then and there. Along with the descriptions of the collection's highlighted entries were lists of authors other notable books, suggestions for similar or related books, and, my favorite as a film lover, adaptations. The suggested adaptations included not just films but also adaptations for the stage, opera and stand out audiobooks. Most of the entries also included photographs and stunning illustrations from some of the seminal editions.
I'll admit that I didn't read every entry, focusing instead on books that I've read, that are on my to-be-read list, or that simply piqued my interest as I scrolled through the pages. Even the appendices, which include a Miscellany of Special list (such as books from the list that you can Read in a Sitting or Family Read Alouds) and the 1,000 Books Checklist made 1,000 Books to Read Before You Die a joyous bibliophile experience. The checklist alone has me longing for my own hard copy of this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1,000 Books to Read Before You Die.

September 20, 2018 – Started Reading