Yiorgos Adamopoulos's Reviews > The Doomsday Machine: Confessions of a Nuclear War Planner

The Doomsday Machine by Daniel Ellsberg

It took me a long time to finish the book. It contains too much information to divulge and I needed to do the occasional back and forth to remind me of stuff I'd read in the previous chapters.

If you ever wonder how one prepares for a nuclear conflict, target decision, actually starting such a war, it extent and even the tactical deployment, along with any problems that may arise in the process, and there are many, this is a book you need t read.

Humanity it seems has averted omnicide a number of times. Not only in the case of the Cuban crisis which is detailed, but also on a number of other cases also. You get to get a glimpse within the many different stakeholders during planning and deployment, conflicting interests, expected number of deaths, presidential and other civilian and military views on the matter. Highly illuminating book. One I came across by pure chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doomsday Machine.

October 10, 2018 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
October 10, 2018 – Started Reading
October 10, 2018 – Shelved
October 10, 2018 –
October 10, 2018 –
4.0% (Hardcover Edition)
October 14, 2018 –
November 15, 2018 –
20.0% "Progressing slowly. However it is a fine tail of how the execution of a plan, any plan, might differ from what was intended because of all the intermediate self interests."
January 15, 2019 –
55.0% "Fascinating account of the Cuban crisis so far."
January 20, 2019 –
January 22, 2019 –
January 22, 2019 –
February 2, 2019 –
79.0% "I do not know whether I want this book to end despite my slow progress. A wealth of information to digest this"
February 9, 2019 – Finished Reading